Tascam DA-30 into PC

stevem5000

I picked up a Tascam DA-30 DAT...I have about a dozen DAT tapes I would like to convert to CD's...
I have a PC Win 7 with a M-Audio Audiophhle 2496 card...with SPDIF connections and normal analog connections...

My system works perfectly...I do a LOT of digitizing old R2R, casssette, LP's etc...

I used to have a Sony DAT player and connected it with SPDIF and it worked just fine until
the transport broke...had great audio...just wasn't a durable unit...such the reason for the Tascam...

Basically there are 2 outputs for the DA-30...RCA's labeled "Fixed" and "Variable"...I have tried both the Fixed and
the Variable jacks...I tried the SPDIF and also straight into the analog of the M-Audio card...
And I've changed cables...

Not getting ANY sound at all...

Looking for suggestions and ideas...

Many thanks folks...

Are you getting any movement on the meters when you hit play? Is the DA30 actually playing the tape? Is the sampling frequency set correct?

Try connecting the RCA outs to a hifi and see if it plays back.

Alan.

witzendoz...tape moves...meters move...gives every appearance that it is working...

bouldersoundguy...THANK YOU...headphones are dead...no sound at all...
Bad unit...taking it back...

Thanks both of you...

I owned an original DA-30 for years* and I have my friend's DA-30 MkII on loan, which I'm pretty familiar with. As far as I know SCMS shouldn't prevent playback via the analog outputs.

*So long it became "digital anchor technology" not good for much but keeping a small dinghy from drifting away.

ecc83...thanks for the heads up...read it and it really does not apply...the unit should play irregardless if SCMS is active or not...
I bought it from a repair shop that "can repair anything built before 1980"...it's under warranty...
They will either make it work...refund me...or they have a couple other units I could trade for...

They have a nice Panasonic...but it uses only XLR's...but I can pickup a couple of XLR to RCA cables...

Thanks for the help guys...

ecc83...thanks for the heads up...read it and it really does not apply...the unit should play irregardless if SCMS is active or not...
I bought it from a repair shop that "can repair anything built before 1980"...it's under warranty...
They will either make it work...refund me...or they have a couple other units I could trade for...

They have a nice Panasonic...but it uses only XLR's...but I can pickup a couple of XLR to RCA cables...

Thanks for the help guys...

No worries, I know nothing about the machines, just saw that missive and thought " 'ello, you know Dud, 'ello?"

Make sure the XLR-RCA cables unbalance the outputs properly, couple of ways to go, depends on how they are implemented. Model # for the Panasonic please?

Apologies if mum's mums and hen seeds are involved!

Dave.

I'm headed to the shop this morning...find out what they have to say...
I am assuming they still have the Panasonic...don;t know model #...
And they may have something else...

I also found a Sony PCM2300 on Craigslist...googling on it seems to be a "pro" version of
one of it's better consumer models...Owner says it works perfectly and willing to demo it...
Might be a better choice...

Well see...

Ok..."Apologies if mum's mums and hen seeds are involved! "....??????????????????????
Guessing that's a British phrase...???

I'm headed to the shop this morning...find out what they have to say...
I am assuming they still have the Panasonic...don;t know model #...
And they may have something else...

I also found a Sony PCM2300 on Craigslist...googling on it seems to be a "pro" version of
one of it's better consumer models...Owner says it works perfectly and willing to demo it...
Might be a better choice...

Well see...

Ok..."Apologies if mum's mums and hen seeds are involved! "....??????????????????????
Guessing that's a British phrase...???

Heh! Grannies and eggs mate!

Dave.

Back