Tape timecode with DAW

Findlay

Please excuse me if this is a silly question or has been covered before but I am at a loss as to how to solve this problem.

I have digitised old 4 track recordings I made on my Tascam 244 - recording all 4 tracks from the direct tape output into a 4 channel sound card. I used Cubase and Nuendo. The problem is that some of the songs have timecode recorded on track 1 that I used to trigger a Roland Drum machine (which I still have!). Now I have these songs digitised it there any way I can use the timecode within Cubase or Nuendo to keep time of the playback so I can add drums in sync within the DAW?

Most likely yes. I'm no MIDI expert but I can imagine three general approaches. The most simple would be to send the timecode out of your DAW to that drum machine and record back the audio. Second would be to send the TC to the drum machine and capture the MIDI stream back into the computer. Then you could edit it, change the sounds etc. Third would be to use it to generate a MIDI drum part in the computer, though exactly how is not something I can help with.

Most likely yes. I'm no MIDI expert but I can imagine three general approaches. The most simple would be to send the timecode out of your DAW to that drum machine and record back the audio. Second would be to send the TC to the drum machine and capture the MIDI stream back into the computer. Then you could edit it, change the sounds etc. Third would be to use it to generate a MIDI drum part in the computer, though exactly how is not something I can help with.

Thanks for this. I'm not keen on option 1 as the sound from the machine sounds too dated and it is difficult to program. Option 2 may be possible - not sure if there is a MIDI out. I would really like to try option 3 - does anyone know how to do this? Will the computer be able to allow for the tape stretching effect and keep sync? Any tips and help would be greatly appreciated!

With option 3, you would want to send the time code out to the drum machine and record a click track from the drum machine into the daw. (8th notes) You can use that track to create the tempo map that follows the tape stretched audio.

There is a function that will create the tempo map automatically, but I can't think of the name at 5:30am.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I have managed to get the drum machine (Roland 626) working and used the sync from the daw to trigger it and record the drum parts as analogue signals. I have also managed to use the sync to trigger the MIDI output from the Roland and recorded this. There is just one slight problem - the kick drum part in the recorded MIDI signal from the Roland isn't activating any of my digital drum kits (LM4 and LM9). It records as B0 instead of C1, which seem to be the normal trigger code. Oddly when I play the Roland live the MIDI signal shows up as C1 and plays the Lm9, it is only the recorded pattern from the sync trigger that is wrong. Does anyone know how to fix this? I've tried changing drum maps but no joy - I find it a bit confusing! Maybe I should post this question on the MIDI board?

Just go into the midi editor and select all the B0 notes and pull them up to C1. It's probably a better solution than remapping the drum module.

As to why that happens, I have no idea.

Thanks. I couldn't see a way to select all the B0 notes at once to move them. It must be possible mustn't it? Surely you don't have to move them one by one? Maybe I should get a different MIDI editor to the one in Nuendo?

As to why that happens, I have no idea.

From memory, it is the way that manufacturers did their midi mapping. Some numbered notes from 0 to 127. Others went from 1 to 128. Also, my memory says that the kick drum on Roland's standard kits could be activated through B0 or C1 (and you got a slightly different kick sound).

I've programmed percussion on a Roland sequencer, and had to shift all my B0 kicks onto C1 when I loaded the midi file into Logic (or Reaper).

Thanks. I couldn't see a way to select all the B0 notes at once to move them. It must be possible mustn't it? Surely you don't have to move them one by one? Maybe I should get a different MIDI editor to the one in Nuendo?
I use Nuendo and do it all the time. Just left click and draw a box around them to select.

Thanks. I'm still having probblems! I've selected all the B0 notes in Nuendo but can't work out how to paste them into C1 - it just seems to paste them all back into B0. Any chance of an idiot's guide?

Sorry Farview I still can't for the life of me select the B0 notes. I've tried left clicking and allsorts and just can't do it! I'm using Nuendo 3 if this helps - maybe it isn't possible in early versions? Any help appreciated!

Try right-clicking on the piano keyboard note for B0. In Reaper this selects all B0 notes. I have no idea how Nuendo works, but it is worth a try.

Open it up in the key editor window. (double click on the file in your project window)

With the pointer cursor tool, draw a selection rectangle around all the B0 notes.

Drag one of them up to the note you want and all will follow.

It has worked the same way since before N3

If you still have a hard time, refer to the user manual and/or help files. It's much faster than waiting for me to notice your post.

Thanks again! I finally managed to do it - it is very tricky though to get the sync right when dragging the note from the bottom right to the top of the screen for C1 - I had to make a note of the time co-ordinates to get it right. I though it would be a bit easier and precise...... Having problems now with the midi sync - it starts off ok but drifts out horribly after a few seconds. I know this isn't a time code problem as the analogue recordings from the time code trigger are perfectly in sync. Any suggestions anyone?

Back