Tape inputs plays but will not record. Help!

Barry Davies

Am trying to make a CD using stuff from tapes and from mini disks I recorded some time ago. My software (Cakewalk) does not recognize the input (though it does record my midi keyboard), neither does the Windows 98 sound recorder, though both sources (tape and mini disk)will play through my sound card (Sound Blaster) and amp system. Where am I going wrong? Please help. Barry

Barry,

Open up the Windows mixer (double-click on the little yellow spearker icon in the lower right corner of the task bar) and check to see if those devices are muted for recording. I bet that's it.

-AlChuck

Nearly there, but not quite.

The mutes are for outputs!

Go back to the windows mixer. On one of the drop-downs, there's a properties option, its probably file/properties. In this dialogue, select recording properties and then OK. In the new mixer that comes up, check the box under line-in (if you're plugged into the line in, as you should be).

If this isn't it, then ask again!

But I won't eat my hat.

Gluck,

matt

checK: http://www.mp3.com/carolynn

Cakey2: Sir, you are a genius. Well what I mean is that you hit the nail right on the head. I followed your instructions to the letter, and guess what happened - it worked! After turning on the computer again today, I found that the setting had gone back to what is the default, I suppose, and I had to repeat the procedure. I have searched the Help files to no avail. Do you by any chance know how to change the default so that it stays on Record rather than on Playback? Also, do you happen to be a Cakewalk expert, since I have a related question?
P.S. I grew up in Dudley, Worcs (not too far from your fine city) but left there 50 years ago. Came to the US 20 years ago. My bones will no doubt rest here!. Ta ever so for your help. Barry

Back