System shutdown due to core temp

jimmys69

MOODerator
I have never experienced this before... Thankfully my DAW 'Cubase' saved the project right before it happened...

But, As soon as I started it back up I saw nothing that seemed like overheating in BIOS.

Any recommendations as to a core temp monitor program or why this may have happened?

What is the shutdown point for a processor? Specifically my I7 4790k.

I had a machine that was running slow.

It then shut itself down. It rebooted after I came back to it.

At the time I didn't know what was going on.

Then it shut down again. While it was shut down I thought I would do something inside the case. I can't remember what now, maybe swap a DVD burner or something.

I discovered that the CPU heatsink was totally clogged with dust!

Once I had cleaned this out, and everything else inside there as well, it was up and running perfectly.

From then on I've done regular dust checks.

LOL! There is an air filter on this case I did not bother to see...

Clogged... Good lord..

Sorry for wasting time.

And thank you gecko! :)

Glad that you got it sorted, Jim. My 4790 took a little experimenting to get it cooled properly. It was OK with the stock heat sink and fan, but still hot. So I got the silver thermal compound and cleaner to remove the old gunk. Applied it, fired it up, and damn near melted the thing. It was crazy hot. I must've made some sort of mistake applying the thermal goop or something. I ended up getting a liquid cooler, cleaning and reapplying the goop, and things have been good since. At idle, my cores all run at or below 30 C. When I'm gaming, I see them get up over 70 C, maybe 80 C if I'm playing a game that isn't very well optimized. But nothing approaching the 110 C that I saw when it was running red hot.

I kind of like Core Temp, a freeware app that'll show you all of your cores' individual temps in the system tray. The only bad thing about it is that they started distributing it with some obnoxious "opt out" checkboxes during installation. But if you pay attention during installation and don't install the junkware, it's a good little app.

Come to think of it, I'm probably about due to clean my fan vents and radiator. I can see dust built up on them. Last year's basement construction is still causing a gradual rain of dust on everything in the house.

Funny how problems and their solutions get forgotten?
About 2 years ago, anyone complaining of their PC slowing down would be inundated with peeps telling them to vac it out!

A very well behaved app' that reads temperatures is Piraform's "Speccy" . I have it stuck on all my desktops.

Dave.

I had a heat sink fall of the processor once, that caused it to shut down due to heat, found the heat sink laying in the bottom of the computer case.

Alan.

Hey Jimmy, you build this yourself, right?
Are you confident that you fitted the heatsink well and applied a conservative amount of thermal paste?

Glad you found a clogged airflow - at least that's something, but it'd still take a hell of a lot to push a computer into shutdown. You're talking about 90+ right?

Something like this should cover the basics man.

I had a heat sink fall of the processor once, that caused it to shut down due to heat, found the heat sink laying in the bottom of the computer case.

Alan.

I had the same thing happen once. One of the fastening brackets that held the heat sink and fan onto the CPU broke. It didn't take long to figure out why the computer would barely get to the Windows logo the first boot, then barely get through POST the next boot, then wouldn't boot at all. I, too, found the heat sink and fan sitting at the bottom of the case. Somebody made a bad cost-cutting decision when deciding to make those things out of plastic.

Hey Jimmy, you build this yourself, right?
Are you confident that you fitted the heatsink well and applied a conservative amount of thermal paste?

Glad you found a clogged airflow - at least that's something, but it'd still take a hell of a lot to push a computer into shutdown. You're talking about 90+ right?

Something like this should cover the basics man.

I did, but the PC shop that installed the replacement MOBO installed the processor.

Even after blowing it all out I am getting 80 to 88C running a 60 track project. Not even the biggest I have to work on right now...

I'm going to have to take it back to them and maybe get a couple more fans for the case if re-seating the processor don't do it. There are spots for 4 big fans. Only two in the case now and they are very quiet.

Update: With side cover of case off it drops to mid 60's... I'm guessing myself more fans. Any others opinions?

Yeah, that's definitely not good.
I hit my computer as hard as you and never see CPU temps over 50 or so.
Northbridge will get to 60+ but that's known to be hotter on this particular model.

Fair enough, it's literally freezing here right now but I don't have problems in summer either.

Nice one man. Hope that sorts it out.
I'd have removed/cleaned/refitted the CPU and original fan first but hey...big ass cooler does no harm. :)

Nice one man. Hope that sorts it out.
I'd have removed/cleaned/refitted the CPU and original fan first but hey...big ass cooler does no harm. :)

Yeah, we did that on the spot. Complete contact of thermal glue. Fins were way warm. Evidently the shitty ass fan that comes with the i7-4790 is stupidly inadequate according to the tech guys there.

I guess my processor just runs hot. Whatever. As long as it gets fixed is all I care about. :)

Well, the tech just called me back to the shop for a look at their diagnostics. Memtest showing bad ram that is likely causing the high running temp. Took two sticks out and testing the others overnight as it is about closing time for them.

I gotta say I really like these guys. 8 blocks from my house and they don't bullshit me. :)

Last edited:
Easy to say now but I was really feeling there'd be more to this.
If Intel, or any manufacturer, provided a stock heatsink that let the CPU run at 80 degrees under moderate load, there'd be a shitstorm. lol.

I'm with Gecko. I used to have a computer that suddenly started overheating--it turned out that some of the innards were completely clogged with dust. Unfortunately it wasn't the easy bits to get to--I had to do a major dismantle to find the offending areas (I was pretty good about keeping the easy bits to see clean). However, once the dust was gone all was good again, despite the two screws I had left over after re-assembly.

However, once the dust was gone all was good again, despite the two screws I had left over after re-assembly.

LOL. I have a box full of those. :facepalm:

I used to have a pretty big biscuit tin full of bits that never made it back into/onto my car.
I swear It weighed a few kilos less when I sold it.

I just heard back from the techs. One of the Corsair 8GB ram is bad. I have 4 cards. Ballistic are the other two.

Just to step back in time a bit, I had an issue where one of my 3 monitors (onboard graphics) looked like a kaleidoscope on bootup. I thought it just a bad monitor. I just went with what I thought was obvious and bought another. The new model didn't match (in appearance) so I bought two. It did it again once after purchase of the new monitors. Well, seems the bad ram likely caused this as well. Ugh.

Also, my old recording PC (which is now my office PC) had issues in regards to 'bad sectors' so that is why I built the new one. It was running in RAID 1 and only one drive would boot 'sometimes'. I mirrored that drive to a SSD. Still had occasional crashes and sector error crap. Well they gave me advice for a command prompt.

'CMD' sfc /scannow. It found the issue and seems to have fixed it. Now the office PC seems to be running like it should. Bootup is now lightning fast.

I so wish these guys were around 6 years ago...

I will keep updating this thread with how everything goes. I am just happy I am getting answers with results.

Back