System shutdown due to core temp

I have to laugh every time I read the thread title "System shutdown due to core temp"

Reminds me of this:

scotty-meme-generator-she-cannae-take-any-more-captain-she-s-gonna-blow-1bc725.gif

Twas just the shitty stock CPU cooler fan that came with the Core7 4790k. Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO cooler cut the CPU temp from 99+ Celsius at full CPU usage to around 70.

Now running around 55 with the same project I tested with before that was running at 88C.

Ram was not the cause of the overheating but was causing other issues.

Twas just the shitty stock CPU cooler fan that came with the Core7 4790k. Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO cooler cut the CPU temp from 99+ Celsius at full CPU usage to around 70.

Now running around 55 with the same project I tested with before that was running at 88C.

Ram was not the cause of the overheating but was causing other issues.
I don't post much...but I know about basic hardware issues with computers. You found out that when there is no reason for something to happen, it is usually something that's easy to fix. Simple dust can do some very nasty things on the inside of a computer. And if you keep the computer on the floor of a carpeted room, that fan will suck all kinds of carpet dust and debris into the computer. Some of that gets blown out the exit fan, but not that much of it. Most of it ends up clogging up fan screens (as you found out), heat syncs, and some just ends up sitting around the various chips of your motherboard. That dust that ends up collecting on your motherboard will eventually cause problems, too. Over time, if not removed, it builds up and can cause a heat issue with the various chips on the board. And strange as it seems, this dust can also conduct electricity, so any static charge that happens to come around, it absorb that charge and kill a chip in a nanosecond.

And, if this computer is in a room where someone smokes, that dust gets the added tars and sludge that comes from cigarette smoke, creating a blanket of dust that sticks together and holds in all of the heat that would normally not be there. The fan could be clear, but if that bed of dust is sitting on your motherboard, you can still experience heat related issues. Pretty much everything on the inside of that computer box is fragile and even the slightest heat increases can be bad news.

As a normal maintenance thing, it's necessary to open up that box and check for things that aren't suppose to be there. Look for screws that might have come out of something and landed where they shouldn't have (connecting two pins of a chip that shouldn't be connected), wires that might be up against the heat sync and causing their insulation to melt and mostly, vacuum out any dust that is inside that box. They make computer vacuum attachments and you can get them pretty much anywhere. I got mine at Walmart, years ago. They attach to your vacuum hose and let you get into all of the corners of that computer. Think like dust and ask yourself..."where would I go if I were a dust particle?"

Make sure your computer is OFF and you have discharged any static charge from your body so you don't zap one of those expensive chips. The attachment should be plastic so not to make any electrical connections while you are moving around inside there. Get into all of the areas of the box, so you don't leave any dust bunnies in there.

How often you need to do this will be up to you. You should check inside your computer often, until you have an idea of how long it takes your computer to get full of dust. Every location is going to be unique, so there is no way to set how often someone should do this. Then, set this on your schedule to clean out the computer on a regular basis. Those parts in there need to breath, just like you do. Heat is an enemy of your computer. A cool computer is a happy computer.

Back