System Optimization for Music Production

Sorry, but that's dead wrong. Restore points are nothing more than data saved to the hard drive. Just be virtue of existing they place no load whatsoever on the CPU or memory. Moreover, OS files can become corrupt, even if a system is completely malware free. Without a restore point, your only option is re-install the OS. This is very bad advice.

Nope, as usual my advice is exceptionally good... even if it goes against most of what you think you know and what you've been told. Microsoft's "Features" like System Restore were made so any dumbass can use a PC. No one in their right mind would have that feature running while recording/editing. System Restore is constantly alive and processing when turned on. It's the first thing you should disable after a new install (For a DAW). We're talking about using a PC for a top notch professional DAW here, not as a general purpose PC. First you need a different PC than your home PC to setup a decent DAW and then you need to optimize it for recording. Anything short of that and your just a kid playing with toys.

I know how and why file systems become corrupt. I also know what a bloated albatross MS OS's have become over the years. System Restore is a nice idea, but as with many MS OS features it does not work as advertized. In addition to recording for the last 35 years I've been an IT consultant for the last 15. People call me when their staff IT people can't figure it out, and often when they've f*cked it up worse than it was before they tried to fix it.

The idea that a stock PC and OS as installed by default will make a good DAW is absurd! It takes extensive knowledge of your hardware and software and careful planning to implement a solid system.

Nope, as usual my advice is exceptionally good... even if it goes against most of what you think you know and what you've been told. Microsoft's "Features" like System Restore were made so any dumbass can use a PC. No one in their right mind would have that feature running while recording/editing. System Restore is constantly alive and processing when turned on.
I'm sorry, but that's not correct. System Restore uses the Volume Shadow Service (or Volume Snapshot Service). It doesn't do anything until requested by, for example, an installation program. Microsoft provides an overview here: Volume Shadow Copy Service

It's the first thing you should disable after a new install (For a DAW). We're talking about using a PC for a top notch professional DAW here, not as a general purpose PC. First you need a different PC than your home PC to setup a decent DAW and then you need to optimize it for recording.
A "different PC" than your "home PC"? There's no such thing as "A home PC." A "PC" is a set of set standardized architectures and which particular subsets are employed is a function of a multitude of design elements. I also have no idea what you mean by a "top-notch professional DAW." Do you consider Sonar X2 a "top-notch professional DAW"? How about Protools? Cubase? Those all run on PCs, albeit PCs with a minimum set of specs.

Anything short of that and your just a kid playing with toys.
I haven't been called a kid in more than 4 decades. Maybe I should call you "Sonny Boy."

I know how and why file systems become corrupt.
Then you also know that file systems can become corrupt without even being in the same building as malware.

I also know what a bloated albatross MS OS's have become over the years.
Yes, it has, which is why it makes sense to optimize a PC for DAW use. It doesn't make any sense to disable System Restore.

System Restore is a nice idea, but as with many MS OS features it does not work as advertized.
Of course it does. What are you talking about?

In addition to recording for the last 35 years I've been an IT consultant for the last 15. People call me when their staff IT people can't figure it out, and often when they've f*cked it up worse than it was before they tried to fix it.
Well, good for you. You're still wrong about System Restore. I've been working with computers since 1968, when I first learned to program (using punch cards on a mainframe). I built my first Wintel machine in 1985, and have been building systems ever since. I've been using computers for recording since the early 80s. Now, I hire and fire IT consultants. And I don't consider myself an expert of any kind, but I know that VSS doesn't do anything related to System Restore unless and until it is requested to do so. Read the link I provided.

The idea that a stock PC and OS as installed by default will make a good DAW is absurd!
Yes, it is, which is why no one has suggested doing that.

It takes extensive knowledge of your hardware and software and careful planning to implement a solid system.
It does, indeed. However, what it doesn't take is disabling System Restore.

What would you like to do with your DAW, and with what OS?
I don't need help. I just want to understand your advice.

If "hardware is tweaked and pitched to gamers" and "your graphics could be taking a disproportionate amount of resources."
What would be a common remedy, generally and hypothetically speaking.

Yes, it is, which is why no one has suggested doing that.

I kinda did. :p

Last edited:
I kinda did. :p
Ooops. :)

You're not wrong, however. Any DAW written for Windows will run on any contemporary PC running Windows XP or above. It's only a question of how well and efficiently the DAW will run. Optimization allows for faster rendering, more tracks, more VSTs, more effects, etc. It has absolutely no effect, however, on the quality of the audio. For most people, a non-optimized PC is just fine.

One problem is that so much hardware is tweaked and pitched to gamers,

Which means what? Faster fsbs, greater quantities of ram, faster clock speeds etc.
The one downside I can think of is potential fan noise, but that's not really related.

so yes your graphics could be taking a disproportionate amount of resources.

This is where I get lost. Having better hardware won't 'take' any resources.
If you're talking about the OTT Gui designs and animations then sure, turn that crap off; That's not hardware though.

It's a legitimate place to look when optimizing a PC for audio.
The OP asked about disabling graphics drivers.
I expected a resounding "Don't do that!".

I can see both sides of the system restore argument.
I think having a restore point sitting there doing nothing is a good idea.
I think having it turned on all the time, possibly creating automatic restore points while you're working, is a bad idea.
I guess the latter is what Beck's getting at?

I do the same with time Machine. When it suits I'll tell the system to take a backup; Then I turn it off.

As a side note, if Microsofts best OS is 12 years old, that's just embarrassing. :p

Last edited:
I don't know everything about Wintel OS's, but what I do understand is Sys Restore doesn't do anything unless requested. It records data points (program installs, registry changes, etc.) and that's it. It's not a running program as such, it's only active when major data events occur.

Some graphics cards do steal a portion of RAM for processing, but I've seen that more in laptops than desktops. In this regard, turning off Aero is useful in freeing up RAM for speed. I've done it myself for my laptop, since I'm only running my DAW on there. However, since the price of RAM is constantly dropping, there's a valid argument for loading up with as much as your PC can hold.

Back