system freezes when burning.

jasper

I have just purchased a TEAC CD W54EK burner.
I am new (as in NEW)to burning CDs, and have the following problem. After installing the drive, and WinOnCD and BackMeUp from CeQuadrat, I attempted to backup my C Drive.
I was clever enough to defrag the drive and close all apps, however, after producing an image of the drive, BackMeUp started to burn, my system froze. After a reset, I tryed again, same thing. With WinOnCd I tryed to burn one file and guess what! I've tryed all day, with the same result. It can't be the settings, I've tryed them all, several times! Whats wrong? I've got an AMD K6 -2 450Mhz,
128 sdram, 3 Hard Drives and the burner. The burner is as a slave.

I'm not aware of the peculiarities of the S/W or H/W you mentioned, but you said you were trying to back up your "C" drive, and produced an "image" of the drive. OK:
My question is: Do you have any idea of the size of the image you're trying to burn to CDR? Also: if the image is >650MB, does your backup software have the capability to create several volumes <650MB and burn them sequentially?
Other questions might include: Has this burner produced satisfactory results burning specific data files or burning audio CDRs?

Hello drstawl. The image size is 1670MB. BackMeUp told me to prepare 2 or 3 CDRs (I produced 2 coasters at first, and decided to use CDRWs instead) because thats what it would take, depending on the compression ratio. After formating the CDR, and prepering the data, the drive (could be the S/W?) freezes, taking the whole system with it. I've never had problems with my H/W before installing the TEAC drive. The burn S/W is from a German firm (thats where I live)and is apparently very good (It came with the drive). To date, the burner hasn't produced anything more than a hole in my wallet! I bought it on Saturday and posted the problem Sunday.

Make sure that you have the right (i'd say latest, but recently found that that isn't always true in every case) drivers for your hardware. I have a similar problem with my burner, it freezes like you said in windows 2000, but I can burn and burn and burn all day in 98. (one day i'll get it set up in 2000 but since I CAN burn now that's lower on my to do list)

-jhe

Those backup utilities that compress while they back up are for the birds. So your stuff dies and you need to use the backup data- but you're loading it on another system or the same system ressurrected. Can't do it until you load the de-compression program, can you?
Can't do that until you get the system O/S reloaded. I use EZ-CD Creator to archive my data in uncompressed format. That way, when I want to view my backup data I can view it on any Windows PC. I sometimes need to view just a little bit of the data on a backup CDR, and the label "Vol 3/[insert date here]" isn't as useful as an ordinary file directory.

To James HE: Thanks - that should have been my first thought!

To drstawl: Now you mention it, you're so right! I've seen alot about the EZ CD Creator, nothing bad said - I might just give it a try. It can't hurt! :)

Back