Synth and soundcard/interface don't like each other.

MatL

Hi all, I have an issue recording with audio signals involving a synth and a USB soundcard/interface.

When I plug the Korg R3 into the E-mu 0404 inputs and play a note, the note is very distorted and crackly.

I have tried all outputs of the Korg with headphones and speakers, the sound is fine.

I have tried plugging a guitar into the E-mu, the sound is fine.

The input leads I am using are also fine.

The problem seems to be that the Korg and E-mu just don't like each other. Has anyone got any suggestions please?

I've tried changing the buffer size as suggested elsewhere online but this doesn't help either.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
I assume you mean you've tried the outputs of the Korg with headphones and speakers, right? The only thing I can think of, is that the output of the Korg is going to be line-level, which is a lot hotter than the signal from (most, but not all) guitars, so maybe it's just clipping the Emu. It sounds like you're pretty exhaustive, but... have you tried just turning the Korg down?

Also - you're using the line outputs, as opposed to the headphone out, on the Korg, right?

Typhoid is right on - usually "distorted and crackly" means too hot a signal, check to make sure everything is plugged in correctly to your interfaces line-level inputs. And make sure your interface DOES have real line level inputs: I recently bought a Presonus interface that supposedly did but in face did not.

Hi, thanks very much for your replies.

"I assume you mean you've tried the outputs of the Korg with headphones and speakers, right?...Also - you're using the line outputs, as opposed to the headphone out, on the Korg, right?"

Yes sorry I meant outputs. And yes I've tried taking a line out of all three - left(mono), right and headphone channels and all of them are crackling when plugged into the interface.

And yes RWhite, it's set up correctly, there is literally nowhere else that audio lines can go in.

I've tried turning ALL the volume controls down, on the Korg, on the interface, on the laptop, the signal is still distorted no matter what volume it's at.

Is it possible that it's simply a case of the E-mu not being able to handle the Korg? If so does that mean getting a new interface? And if so, is there a recommended one that synths would work on?

Is it possible that it's simply a case of the E-mu not being able to handle the Korg? If so does that mean getting a new interface? And if so, is there a recommended one that synths would work on?

I dont see how that could be possible. Analog signals are analog signals. As long as you're not overdriving the emu's input, you shouldn't have this happening. The only thing I can think of is some kind of groundloop might be happening between the two devices. I'd expect 60hz hum for that, though, not crackling. Can you post a clip of the sound?

Yea I've just posted it to youtube here: http: //youtu.be/8o2R5J9bJvM

I've used several of the Korg R3 presets so you can hear it easily.

And also to add which I'd previously forgot to mention....when the Korg outputs are plugged in there is a constant hum, then the distortion occurs when a note is played.

Last edited:
BTW - had to post the link with a space after 'http:' because the forum wouldn't let me post a link to another site. So when copying the link into your browser please delete that space or else it won't work.

Ok, yea, that constant hum is 60hz hum. It's almost always caused by a groundloop, and can cause odd distortion sounds when the signal interacts with the harmonics in the noise. That's what's going on here, I'd almost bet on it. There's a few ways to try to get rid of it. First - plug all your devices that have any kind of electrical connection to each other into the same conditioner / surge protector / powerstrip / whatever. This would be your keyboard, interface, computer, whatever else is connected to your computer, etc. If that doesn't work, put a ground lift on the plug of said conditioner/surge protecter/powerstrip/whatever.

If you still have noise after those things, I guess you can try balanced cables, if you're not already using them (assuming the outs of the R3 are balanced, as well as the ins of the emu thing)...although I really don't think that's the root of the problem here at all, and I think the groundloop would screw up the noise cancellation voodoo anyway, since the noise isn't actually picked up on the way from the keyboard to the interface.

Thanks so much for the time you're taking to write all this.

I've tried plugging all equipment into the same surge protector and this still doesn't work.

So you're advising the next step is to try a ground lift? I'll be honest I've never heard of these before. I just did a search for 'ground lift' and came up with the Chord Active DI Direct Injection Box (can be found on eBay but this forum won't let me post links). musiconmypc.co.uk/active-di-box

Is this the sort of thing I need? If so there's only one output, so assuming I got this model I'd need two, one for each cable (L and R) from the Korg to plug into the two audio inputs of the E-mu0404, is this correct please?

Last edited:
omg, no - it's a really simple thing that just basically pulls the ground out of the connection to the wall, without requiring you to rip it out with plyers. You can get them at lowes for like $1. I'm looking for a picture of one, but also cooking chicken. brb

I've just tried something else. I unplugged the e-mu USB interface from the laptop, now when the korg is played into the interface and out through speakers the sounds is fine.

This means there is a problem when the e-mu sends a signal to the laptop. Even if the laptop isn't turned on, if the USB cable is plugged in, it distorts the signal.

Just a thought, but have you tried not having the power outlet of your laptop plugged into the wall? I had a Dell laptop and when I was on battery power I did not get the ground loop hum that was present with the AC adapter plugged in. I ended up buying a ground loop eliminator from Radio Shack and that got rid of it.

Now that I have a desktop the problem has disappeared completely.

darthopus....thank you. That has sorted it completely. I will have to just simply remove the power cable when recording synth, not a big problem and finally I can start enjoying my new synth. Thank you.

TyphoidHippo, I really appreciate all the help you've given me in narrowing down the root cause of the problem and all your advice, you're awesome. Thank you.

I'm glad that helped. I actually registered just so I could offer you the suggestion. The ground loop device from Radio Shack was not that much money and worked very well.

Back