syncing a sequencing software to recording software

jdechant

Hello,

I record audio using Samplitude Producer 2496... it is great for audio but does not support DXi or VSTi instruments. Coming this summer v6.5 will support virtual instruments, but in the mean time I need a solution.

How would I go about syncing some sequencing software (such as cakewalk) to Samplitude??

Then I could have Cakewalk running a couple DXi instruments and Samplitude recording my audio tracks...

how would I do this?

with a MIDI loopback drivers such as MIDI Yoke??

can anybody offer any setup advise to make this work?

thanks all

Josh

Sometimes programs like that will be fighting over the drivers. I'm not sure if those two will play nicely or not.

See if they will even run at the same time then we can figure out a way to sync them.

You will probably have to record the soft synths in Cakewalk and open the files in Samplitutude. You could make a rough mix of the audio tracks and export it to Cakewalk so you have a reference while doing the synth tracks. Or reverse if you do the synth tracks first.

thanks Tex...

thats pretty much what I feared... people on the Sekd newsgroup are syncing cakewalk to Samplitude, but all are using a 2nd machine for cakewalk.

I guess cakewalk occupies one entire CPU even if only running one MIDI track... so the only other option is a dual CPU machine which i don't have.

I was just trying to avoid the whole mess of jumping back and forth between programs...

guess I could do it like this:

- scratch drums in cakewalk to use as click track
- export and the import into Samplitude
- record guitar tracks in Samplitude
- record scratch vocals in Samplitude
- record anything else that needs recorded (effects or whatever)
- export rough mix and import in Cakewalk
- finalize drums
- create bass intrument track
- create snyths, piano, or whatever else I have in mind for the song
- export drum tracks individually (kick, snare, toms, hi-hat, ride, crash) - total 5 to 12 tracks
- export bass track
- export snynth track, piano track, etc...
- import the virtual instruments into the project in Samplitude
- redo the rough mix to accomidate the inserted instruments
- redo guitar tracks if deemed neccessary
- record lead vocal track
- record BGV's
- re-record anythin that might need re-recorded
- modify any virtual instruments that might need modified and re-import into Samplitude
- finalize project mix, track effects, automation
- MIXDOWN

WOW... that sure is alot but I think I can deal with that until the version on Samplitude is released that supports virtual instruments.

well this way is probably better... this way I don't have to worry about the virtual instruments affecting how much CPU and processing power I have left for real time effects and what not.

Now what version of Cakewalk supports DXi?? I know Sonar XL does but what about the earlier versions like Cakewalk PA9 or 8? and will also run on windows XP

Recording everything in Cakewalk would be easier. You could still export to Samplitude if you prefer that for mixing.

But your method above will work if you insist on using Samplitude for audio.

why not record in cakewalk???

because I do not like cakewalk's audio engine... cakewalk it geared towards MIDI

Samplitude is gears towards Multitrack audio production and the MIDI in it was an afterthought really...

On another note, I am not going to be recording any MIDI... not really...

I am going to be using virtual instruments such as battery that run from MIDI data... I'll be programming them by hand as I don't have a MIDI controller or any MIDI In/Out on my system.

I would prefer to use nothing but Samplitude... since battery can be a standalone, some people use the standalone with a MIDI loopback driver to send the MIDI data from Samplitude to battery and then back... I might try this but I haven't played around with the MIDI editor in Samplitude... I really just need to be able to adjust velocities and random quantization would be nice too... I don't know if Samp can do that or not

Back