Switching from Digital Interface to Mixer... Need Advice

portaflexer

Hello all. I'm new here, but I'm not new to home recording. I've been at it for year. After several different attempts, I've created a home recording system that works pretty good for me (I've attached a pic for reference). Basically, I've got an iMac at the center. I'm using the Yamaha Audiogram 6 for input and for headphone out. I'm using the sound card into a Whirlwind pcDI for monitor out.

Before you ask... I already tried plugging the monitors into the Audiogram as well, but had two issues with that 1) when you're trying to use headphones, the monitors are still active, so you end up plugging the headphones into the computer 2) there is no "playback only" function so the mics are live during playback which can create odd feedback loops if you don't bring the levels down.

Anyway... after some trail and error, I ended up with the system depicted in the diagram. For most things, it works really well and I have no complaints. However, I recently have been doing some recording where I'm constantly overdubbing the same (or similar) rifs on top of each other. I've noticed a slight bit of latency with the Audiogram and it's driving me crazy. :eek:

In the past, I used analog mixers and never had this latency problem. After doing some reading, it appears this is common with USB interfaces. So... I'm thinking of going back to using an analog mixer. I have a Peavey PV6 here that I used to use for keyboards. It would work prefect for an input... but then... how do I get the headphones to work??? I suppose I could buy a small headphone amp, like the Presonus HP4, but I feel like I should be able to do this with the gear I have.

I guess I need some advice from folks who are smarter than I (that's you guys). Should I... 1) leave it like it is 2) go to the analog mixer and add an HP4 3) buy a "bigger" analog mixer that has the ability to mix phones and monitors separately 4) something else I haven't thought of yet?

Attachments

• homestudio.jpg
    homestudio.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 31
Umm, read THIS STICKY about using mixers for recording.
If you're getting latency, that's because you are monitoring through your DAW instead of direct monitoring your input. It doesn't look, at first glance of the Yammie web site, that the Audiogram allows that. I'd say you should move up to a decent Audio Interface.

Well, the Yamaha website claims that you CAN mix between pre recorded stuff and live stuff plugged into the mixer by balancing between the "DAW" pot and the Master. How well this works, I don't know.

As far as I can see, the Audiogram 6 is really just a glorified interface laid out to look like a mixer--no routing options for things like headphone mixes etc at all, no separate out for control room monitors, etc. etc.

Frankly, I'm with mjbphotos that a better chosen interface would be more what you want--but if you decide on a mixer, plan to spend more than an economy bargain basement one.

Thanks for the responses guys. You're pretty much affirming what I was thinking. Whether I go with a better mixer, or a better audio interface... it's gonna result in dollar signs. So... that said... which interface(s) would you suggest in this situation?

What's your budget? Looking to the future, what is the maximum number of inputs you would want to record on separate tracks simultaneously?

The Audiogram has 2 mic/instrument inputs and 2 (stereo) line inputs. I have never needed more than this. In fact, I've never had to use more than 2 channels at the same time, even back when I was using analog mixers. So, at the bare minimum, I'd like to have 2 mic/instrument inputs and 1 line input.

As far as price goes, I'd like to stay under $300, but that's not a hard number. I'm always willing to pay a bit more if it's worth it. Both firewire and USB are acceptable for my setup.

Back