Switching from Desktop to Laptop..help?

aaronaaron

Hello,

For the past few years I've been recording onto my old desktop. I have been mixing everything through my Korg D8, and using the SPDIF connection on a Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS soundcard to record to my computer. (which yes, means I've been running Windows 98 this whole time.) I've just moved to a new apartment, and I don't have the space for my desktop but I want to continue recording demos at home, and would like to switch to my laptop.

Stupidly, I bought an Edirol UA-1D SPDIF-USB thingy, thinking I could just use it the same way I had been using my old soundcard. However, I can't record and monitor at the same time with it, so clearly it's no use to me. I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive soundcard or USB/Firewire device that has SPDIF i/o (or at least i) and would support simultaneous playback. I could theoretically also use the analog RCA outs on my D8, but I would prefer SPDIF.

This is just for demo recording, so pro quality isn't essential at all. Just need something that can take in my sound while playing back what's already there. (I use Logic and/or ACID...and believe it or not, I prefer the simplicity of ACID....if that information is of any use to a reccomendation.)

Thanks so much!

Back