Switched from windows to Mac Os

Chuku

Previously i had all my works done on a windows 7 Dell i5 1.6 Ghz with 4 GB Ram plus 500 GB HDD.. I had very hard time working on that Laptop because it was too slow to do a music production plus crashed too often which reduced my productivity...

So i finally saved some amount and got myself a brand new Macbook pro 2015 but with base model ( 8 gigs of ram, 2.7 ghz i5 processor and 128 gb ssd plus 1 TB of external hard drive) which i got at 120 USD.. It is running smoothly and i have already started my new projects but i have some questions and i've been googling but could not find any answers regarding that..

The space in my laptop is too little. 128 GB SSD . Yeah it is not enough but i have got a 1 TB external drive which i thought i would use to store all the sound samples, libraries, plugins for my DAW there. but i was wondering if that makes sense or not. Will it be slow or just be normal and fine... So i've been trying to figure it out..

Any experience on this?

Hope you got my question.

Thanks

You should be fine. Save all your stuff to the external drive. Put as little as possible on the internal drive.

Hey,
Whether Windows or MacOS, and even if you have enough space on your system drive, I'd still keep sessions and/or sample libraries stored elsewhere.

It might seem like a waste not using the super-fast SSD for sessions but, in the long run, it's probably better to let it do one job well - Running the system and applications.

What do Macs use these days to connect to external hard drives? And how fast is the hard drive's RPM?

Well.. sounds like you'll know if it works from experience soon enough, I'd be curious to know how it works out.

I keep my active/current projects on my primary SSD, then copy the folder (as a backup) to my larger data drive after I've finished work for the day. The couple seconds it takes to copy is dwarfed by the time saved with improved performance having the actual project on my SSD drive.

You obviously have to keep samples and other libraries (large amounts of data/files) on the external drive, you likely won't have room for them on the SSD, but there's no reason not to keep a few projects on the SSD for the improved performance.

Last edited:
PC (only!) numpty here but..In view of the recent massive ransomware attack it seems good sense to me to keep all files on a storage system that DOES NOT fire up with the PC/MAC?

Since the event I have put all this laptop's files on a USB 3.0 drive in a caddy and I shall copy that over to another caddied 1TB drive very soon.

Dave.

Back