Survey On Simplified User-Interfaces in Plugins

WiltedProductio

Hello guys,
my name is Fabian and I'm currently writing my bachelor's thesis on simplified user-interfaces in plugins and their effect on workflow efficiency. Basically my research is based on whether and how plugins with a simplified user-interface - meaning an interface using less technical parameters or even combining all parameters in one knob (OneKnob Series, Greg Wels Signature Series, Chris Lord-Alge Signiature Series) - influence creative behaviour and efficient workflow by eliminating technical barriers allowing users to be more creative without wasting time. If you're interested or have a minute I'd happy if you'd fill out my survey.

Survey Link:
Simplified User Interfaces In Audio Plugins Survey

Have a great time recording and mixing you guys!

Best regards,
Fabian

Eh, I use CLA Vocals VST often just because it is easy for tracking. Nothing wrong with ease of use.

Well...I think you would agree that if you learn how to do something, ease of use is the windfall. ;)
I just don't see how taking the time to learn = wasting time.

I love simple, intuitive interfaces, for sure...but I'm not a fan of one-button/knob shit where there may be several layers of processing happening, but you really don't know what/how is happening.
When it's too simplified, it can't be applicable to anything/everything...IMO...but you're kinda stuck with that one-button setting.

It was posted as a question...though I don't expect the OP will ever come back to respond.
He's just spamming the site to get his survey done.

I think 18 hours is a fair amount of time, assuming the OP actually wanted to have a discussion about the subject....though I'm pretty sure he's posted the same survey on multiple audio forums and will most likely never be back.

I just wanted to know what he considers is "wasting time" with regards to using audio tools....and hopefully he will come back to discuss...in the mean time, the rest of us can discuss. :)

Re-reading....The wording 'eliminating technical barriers' would support your question.

I wonder if the OP considered this and if he intends to pursue that as part of his research?

We may never know. :D

Looking at the survey site...it appears he is doing his study with the SAE Institute...and this survey might have been just a required task to complete a course...?...though it could be more deeper research, but I kinda have doubts because of the simplistic/generic nature of the survey questions, which seems like a more superficial gathering of "information".

What a completely pointless survey. It makes me so cross that students working at the level where they use the word 'thesis' cannot construct a questionnaire capable off generating reliable data. It's a while back of course, but my supervisor would have laughed that out of the door. In fact his entire premise that what is wanted in plug-ins is less adjustment possibilities and not more, is hugely flawed. The plug ins I use regularly are the ones I can tweak by ear - not by automation or simple menus. I'm not even sure the subject is worthy of study as part of any kind of HE - as it assumes so much. It's also interesting from the assumptions perspective - when categories and expected opinions are influenced by gender and age, which this appear to be - the age and m/f question for example - what is it's point?

You mean, allowing users to be more creative without having a clue about what they are doing or how the plugins work...? :D

Acquiring knowledge and experience is not "wasting time".

Funny I latched on to that right away as well.

I know what you guys mean. Like I'm not sure how anyone can work an eq without knowing what henries were used for the inductors.

I know what you guys mean. Like I'm not sure how anyone can work an eq without knowing what henries were used for the inductors.

???
What EQ requires for that to be known...before you can use it?

Does something like a one-button plug called "warmth"...or "punchier"....or "thinner"..."thicker"...etc. ...really make things more creatively smarter for people?

No way, that's why it's equally important to get a schematic and/or test specs for each of your outboard processors. Like they just put "fast" and "slow" on a knob of a compressor and we're supposed to work with that :eyeroll: . Come on I need the attack release knee and harmonic distortion on this, I can't be creative without that simple info.

Interesting that the important debate is not likely to be addressed at all by the survey.
Perhaps the OP should have asked for questions rather than answers, or maybe we don't know enough about his angle.

Someone like Jimmy is going to know what attack/release/knee/ratio etc are but he's also going to know that his one-knob compressor sounds killer on rock drums bus, or whatever.
By using it he saves time but he doesn't eliminate technical barriers.
The inclusion of that phrase suggests that Jimmy is not the demographic here so, along Miro's line of questioning, is the OP basically trying to work out if one can mix by presets?

If that's the case I'd abandon ship and come up with a new area of study.
Even with a series of mixing candidates and blind tested listeners, it's largely subjective and very difficult to quantify.

All of that said, the questions in the survey seem to go a step farther back, addressing motives and reasons for certain choices.
For a different course that could make for an interesting discussing as to whether an industry has gradually pandered to a demanding and impatient generation,
or a generation has become demanding and impatient by these progressions in technological convenience. ;)

Interesting that the important debate is not likely to be addressed at all by the survey.
Perhaps the OP should have asked for questions rather than answers, or maybe we don't know enough about his angle.

Someone like Jimmy is going to know what attack/release/knee/ratio etc are but he's also going to know that his one-knob compressor sounds killer on rock drums bus, or whatever.
By using it he saves time but he doesn't eliminate technical barriers.
The inclusion of that phrase suggests that Jimmy is not the demographic here so, along Miro's line of questioning, is the OP basically trying to work out if one can mix by presets?

If that's the case I'd abandon ship and come up with a new area of study.
Even with a series of mixing candidates and blind tested listeners, it's largely subjective and very difficult to quantify.

All of that said, the questions in the survey seem to go a step farther back, addressing motives and reasons for certain choices.
For a different course that could make for an interesting discussing as to whether an industry has gradually pandered to a demanding and impatient generation,
or a generation has become demanding and impatient by these progressions in technological convenience. ;)

What is attack? lol! :)

But you guys it's super important to know exactly what formant is affected at precise frequencies when you increase the "growl" on your cookie monster vocals.

Back