Superior Drummer or EzDrummer ?

lorper

Hey guys. Im going to be running logic here in the new future once my MacBook arrives and I was wondering which Drum program I should go with. Ive been reading up and I like the idea of EZ drummers "tap to find" option. Seems like it is what I'm looking for in terms of something quick and usable to help with writing and providing drum tracks easily.

Is superior just a decked out version of EZ Drummer or are we talking about two very different programs here?

They're very different, although you can at least tell that they're in the same family. I still use ezdrummer just for its tap to find feature when I want to quickly put a scratch drum track together. But the sounds and control in Superior are, well, superior!

Ok Thanks for that. I guess its too bad Toontrack couldnt merge the two programs. Is the drummer with Logic Pro X a worthy contender with useful aspects or just a toy ?

Ok Thanks for that. I guess its too bad Toontrack couldnt merge the two programs.

They are merged together. EZ is the lite version of SD. The EZ expansion packs work with SD, but the SDX packs don't work with EZ. But it is the same software engine. Plus SD will go into EZ mode if you want quick.

Not sure what you mean by "merged".

There's no real merge between them that I'm aware of, other than you can open EZX packs in SD...and they can both read the same MIDI packs, but then, so can any other drum app, since MIDI is just MIDI.

SD is designed more for the audio engineer and mixer in mind...EZD2 is designed more for songwriters who prefer a more preset, one-click mentality and are happy with the canned grooves and kits...though you can do some editing and make changes.
SD lets you have much greater control over your sample drum tracks, and it provides deeper editing features.

I notice there's slot of expansions for metal on there site. Which one is recommended for metal drums?

I don't do Metal...so I can't recommend...but I was looking to maybe add a Metal EZX just to have, and the "METAL! EZX" (Metal! EZX | Toontrack) seemed like a good first pick, since it is an older one, it was probably done with a lot of time and effort, and it has a fairly large assortment of drum elements and kits to pick from....
...but maybe some of the Metal guys who use EZD can chime about which is better/worse.

Oh...don't buy direct from Toontrack even with their sale. You can get them cheaper from online retailers. Audio Deluxe is my favorite sale site. They always beat out everyone and have the biggest selections.

I've got both SD and EZD2. I am lazy and all I ever use anymore is EZD2. I haven't even opened SD in months. Don't know anything about metal.

Back