Suggestions for actual 8/8 usb interface?

blabb

Hi, I'm trying to find a USB audio interface to record drums, with each channel sent to a separate mix channel in Reason 7. I've read the Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording as suggested, and the only 2 interfaces that might work are the Alesis MultiMix 8/16 USB 2.0, which only has 4 XLR inputs, and the Tascam US 1800, which only outputs 4 channels via USB.
I would like to get a unit with 8 XLR ins, and 8 channels out USB. I need 2 channels with phantom power for overheads. Does this kind of interface exist? I recently bought a Zoom R16 multitrack recorder, thinking I could record then transfer the individual tracks, but it also only outputs stereo USB or a mono wave file. I really need the drums separated so they can be processed correctly. Thanks for any help! (I'm a drummer, dammit, not a studio engineer!):D

Your Zoom may only output 2 channel, but they have files on it, and you ca drag those to your DAW. I think they are in WAVE 11/44 if I remember right. That is the way you want to use the Zoom.

Attach it to the computer, it should show up as a Hard drive, look at your book, but it should show where the files go to. That would be my first suggestion. The Zoom is a decent product from what I've read here and other reviews.

I have one of these:

M_Audio_9900_65142_00_Fast_Track_Ultra_8R_792582.jpg

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R - USB 2.0 Interface 9900-65142-00

It works great. The only catch is that expects professional level +4 db line inputs, instead of consumer level -10db. If you're connecting a mixer, tape deck or other line level gear, you'll need preamplifiers. It doesn't matter, of course, for microphone inputs. It has a maximum 96 KHz / 24 bit sample rate and can handle all 8 channels at a time over USB 2.0. I've been using it for a couple of years, and it's terrific. I first used it to digitzie 8-track recordings from a Fostex A8LR. Once I got the correct buffer setting, it worked like a champ.

Hi, I'm trying to find a USB audio interface to record drums, with each channel sent to a separate mix channel in Reason 7. I've read the Introduction to Multitrack Computer Interface Recording as suggested, and the only 2 interfaces that might work are the Alesis MultiMix 8/16 USB 2.0, which only has 4 XLR inputs, and the Tascam US 1800, which only outputs 4 channels via USB.
I would like to get a unit with 8 XLR ins, and 8 channels out USB. I need 2 channels with phantom power for overheads. Does this kind of interface exist? I recently bought a Zoom R16 multitrack recorder, thinking I could record then transfer the individual tracks, but it also only outputs stereo USB or a mono wave file. I really need the drums separated so they can be processed correctly. Thanks for any help! (I'm a drummer, dammit, not a studio engineer!):D

You have here some misinformation or misunderstanding.

Usually when an interface is said to be 16X4, it means there are 16 discrete input channels to DAW via USB. The 4 outputs are after recording to DAW/computer. These are used for sending tracks to monitors or outboard gear after the recording.

Here man, read post #98 HERE so I don't have to type it out again. :)

The 1800 is great for this on a budget.

And LOL! My name is Jim, and I only attempt being a drummer and a studio engineer. :)

Most of the audio samples on my webby in sig line were recorded with the US1800.

Thanks for the quick replies! DM60, I went through the Zoom R16 manual, and don't see a mention of separate .wav files from each track, and the folder on the SD card has only one mono .wav. What I want is to record direct to Reason with each drum mic on its own channel, and the R16 just won't do that, my mistake in buying it.
PTravel, I checked out your suggestion, the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R. It looks like a good unit, but after comparing, I'm going to sell my Zoom R16 and get the Tascam US-1800.
Jimmys69, you're right, I definitely didn't understand the correlation between the I/O numbers and actual USB channels to the DAW. Thanks for educating me. Now I can get the interface I've needed all along and get some serious work done!
Thanks again all of you for your helpful comments!

Thanks for the quick replies! DM60, I went through the Zoom R16 manual, and don't see a mention of separate .wav files from each track, and the folder on the SD card has only one mono .wav. What I want is to record direct to Reason with each drum mic on its own channel, and the R16 just won't do that, my mistake in buying it.
PTravel, I checked out your suggestion, the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R. It looks like a good unit, but after comparing, I'm going to sell my Zoom R16 and get the Tascam US-1800.
Jimmys69, you're right, I definitely didn't understand the correlation between the I/O numbers and actual USB channels to the DAW. Thanks for educating me. Now I can get the interface I've needed all along and get some serious work done!
Thanks again all of you for your helpful comments!

Get er done man! :)

Hit me up if you have any questions about the 1800. I'm always here to help if I can...

Back