Stupid question #1

From a quick google, it looks like the HD24 can act as a FTP server so you can download audio files to your computer using the ethernet connection.

Paul

I also saw reference to an optional Fireport (a firewire card, I take it) which is faster than the ethernet.

If you use the ethernet connection, you might need to use a crossover ethernet cable or connect through a hub. However, if your computer is relatively new, the ethernet port might be smart enough to cope with a straight ethernet cable.

Paul

Get the Fireport adapter and FST Connect software. The ethernet connection is brutally slow. There are third party drive bays that fit the caddies used by Alesis and alternative software called HD24tools.

HDSP 9652 Looks like you can buy a interface card and do direct input. Not 100% sure if it dumps to a disk, load in a DAW, but there is data flowing in and out.

Alesis no longer makes the fireport. They don't even make the HD24 anymore I have come to find out.

There's info on alternative ways to connect an HD24 drive on this page: HD24tools

According to that page you can mount your HD24 drive directly to the computer and use the HD24tools software to transfer files.

There's info on alternative ways to connect an HD24 drive on this page: HD24tools

According to that page you can mount your HD24 drive directly to the computer and use the HD24tools software to transfer files.

that looks promising, I am at work and can't really look into it now but will do so this weekend
thanx again.

I need some more help here.
OK, so I go to HD24 tools. I see the HD24 connect. I am still kind of at a loss what they are driving at here. They recommend this, ViPowER VP-1028-LSF(B) Drive bay that mounts internally into your PC. Requires a free 5.25" bay and a free USB 2.0 port. Being USB, the drive bay is hot-swappable. I am not exactly sure what this is and how this is all supposed to work. What am I doing here, taking the HD out of the HD24 and hooking it up directly to my purer and using the HD24 connect sofware to do the swapping?
Here are the specs for the VP-1028LSF
Addonics Product: SATA to IDE/ATAPI Converter
They also throw this out at you, Addonics Product: SATA to IDE/ATAPI Converter.

A drive bay will mount in your computer and accept the drive caddy.

With the other adapter it seems you have to remove the drive from the caddy and mount it inside your computer. But if your computer has IDE drive connection you shouldn't need the adapter.

What am I doing here, taking the HD out of the HD24 and hooking it up directly to my purer and using the HD24 connect sofware to do the swapping?
Here are the specs for the VP-1028LSF
Addonics Product: SATA to IDE/ATAPI Converter
They also throw this out at you, Addonics Product: SATA to IDE/ATAPI Converter.

I believe that is precisely what you are doing. Your HD24 drive will be of the older IDE type with the 40 pin ribbon cable. You'll need to either install it in your computer (if necessary, using an adapter as you linked above) or use a drive caddy. The ViPowER would be convenient if you are going to be doing regular file transfers.

The HD24 is evidently formatted using a proprietary file system, so your PC won't read it natively. This is where the HD24 Tools software comes in.

maybe the ethernet connection is the way for me to go since speed of transfer is not an issue. I will have to look into that.

Back