Studio set questions if anyone can help please that would be appreciated

paul culver

Just joined the Home recording forum so hello :thumbs up: to everyone. STUDIO SET UP QUESTION I GUESS
Hello all happy christmas to everyone so i,ll get that out of the way.

i,m paul and have been making music on my macbook with logic pro for about 3 months and have no issues on making music its all going very well and use u tube for tutorials which has been pretty good i must say. Done about 10/15 tunes from house, techno, tech house and breakbeat and have really enjoyed it. ive been in the music business and producing for about 20 years so no quite abit but wanted to engineer and do all the music making process myself so have started.
My questions to anyone that can help are as follows.
1. ive bought recently the m audio oxgen25 keyboard controller which is great and have no problems and love it to be honest. ive also mapped it out last week and downloaded the drivers etc all good. The 8 midi knobs which i havent assigned yet what's BEST TO ASSIGN THEM TOO ? or what do i assign them too ? effects , channels or things i use regularly?
2. I've just bought a ALTO ZMX 862 portable mixing desk which looks great as i want to put a mike and my technics 1210 turntable through it for sampling but havent wire it up yet which i think i can do but DO i need a EXTERNAL SOUND CARD ?
Ive been reading up and people say that the macbook has it's own internal music processor which i guess it must have as ive made all the tracks i spoke about on it and i think they sound pretty good but havent checked them on a big system or professional monitors as i,m waiting to get my genelecs back and i dont think ive had a problem with latency - if i need an external sound card can anyone recommend one ? my budget is around £100/£150

i think thats about it for now if anyone can help that would be great and appreciated and i,m looking forward to using the forum and meeting new producers and like minded music people like me.
kind regards
Paul

p.s does this forum have a spell check as its not one on my strong points and i hope ive posted it in the correct section :)

Back