Studio One Newb Question... (Hooking up 2 USB MIDI Devices)

Pengu1n

Well, my first question is, why is there no specific Studio One / Presonus forum?

And then my second question is the real one. :P So I bought some stuff, and have now set up my first "home studio". The only things that matter for this question are that I have a PadKontrol and Yamaha YPG-635 hooked up via USB to my laptop. My laptop is plugged in to a FireStudio Mobile. I am running Studio One Artist, and it also has Impact, although I have no idea how to use it.

After a few hours of trying to figure this out, I have been unable to do anything useful with the PadKontrol or the Yamaha. The only results I've gotten are the little MIDI thing at the bottom left showing that Studio One is indeed registering when I hit keys/ pads. So it's an issue with the instrument set up.

The Yamaha is set up with the Send To and Receive From both the same, the Yamaha one. It's set to all inputs.
The PadKontrol is set up with Send To as None and Receive From as PadKontrol (names aren't exact, I'd have to plug everything in to figure those out...). A forum told me to do this, along with downloading impact.

I've tried all sorts of things. All I want to do is make a new MIDI track, choose whether it is controlled by the Yamaha or the PadKontrol, and then choose an instrument that will use the MIDI data. Then I want to record it (duh. :P)

Any help is appreciated...

I'm not familiar with any of the deivces or software you are using, other than what I just read on the Yamaha and Korg units. My guess it that you cannot run BOTH MIDI device at the same time from your software - in the preferences part of the DAW should be the MIDI device selection. You could record from the Yamaha (playing back from the Yamaha), then on playback, select the Korg as the playback MIDI device.

I haven't even gotten as far as trying to record both at once. I'm still working on getting just one to work... Thanks for trying though!

Just plug in one at a time if you plan to use one at a time? and I mean this in the "have you turned it off and on again" kinda mind, but have you set the MIDI track a viryual instrument and primed the track for recording to be able to hear any sound? It's seems like an obvious question, but even I've often just forgotten to prime my track and wondered why I haven't been getting any sound. =P

I don't know what priming means. :/ Some half hearted googling didn't net me the definition.

All it seems like the manual told me to do, some help topics, and some other people on other forums, was set the receive from and send to to my MIDI keyboard, choose a software instrument, and then set my MIDI keyboard as the controller.

This problem has absolutely nothing to do with running both at once.

Back