Studio networking?

blazingstrings

dgatwood can **** himself
Not sure if this is the place or if this has been covered here before but I'll ask.

I want to setup all the PC's in my studio on a network so I can trade files easly between them.

Anybody done this tryed this?

What hardware do I need? Is a switch/router used for this?

I'm not planing to have any of the pc's online, just file trades.

Thanks for any help!

-Blaze

You need a switch with as many ports as you have computers. You don't need a router unless you are sharing an internet connection. You will need an ethernet adapter in each PC - if you don't have the adapters built in to your PC's motherboards, you can buy PCI card ethernet adapters for about 20 to 25 dollars each. You can probably find an inexpensive 4-port switch for about 40 to 50 dollars. Finally, you will need one Cat-5 cable for each PC to go from the PC's ethernet adapter to the switch.

Here's a good PCI adapter for only 15.99. And this would be a good 5 port switch for only 26.99. (Man, the prices on these things just keep getting lower and lower). But yeah, if you're on a real severe budget you can do what Creamy suggested and look on ebay.

Thanks guys!
All the PC's I have have network adaptors(PCI or on board).
I was givven a 16 chanel hub(rackmount to boot), but it has three issues.
A. Its only 10 base T.
b. Its to wide to mount in any of my racks(odd).
c. It turns on and off all by its self.

I was looking at a 8 port Lynksys. Anyone like or dislike them?

Anyone make there own network cables?

So a switch will do it? is a Hub and a switch simular or the same?

Sorry I'm kinda lost here..... :o

Thanks again

-Blaze

There are some technical differences between a hub and a switch, but either will work fine for your purpose. Linksys is a fine company for inexpensive home networking gear. I have a Linksys cable modem and a Linksys router and they both work fine. I do make my own network cables and if you are going to need a lot of them you can save money by buying the cable and adapters in bulk. However you will also need a good crimping tool, and it does require a bit of skill and patience. Worth it if you're going to do it often, but if you're just gonna hook up 2 or 3 computers in your studio, it may be simpler just to buy the cables.

Well off to the store I go tomarrow!

This is gonna be cool!

One last question:
Once I'm all hooked up do I just run the Networking wizard deal to setup all my machines or what other steps do I take?

Thanks

-Blaze

Assuming all your computers are running Win XP, the following is right out of the Windows help screen:

To enable file and printer sharing using the Network Setup Wizard
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Run the Network Setup Wizard.
Click the connection method that applies for your computer.
Accept the default computer description and computer name.
Accept the default workgroup name. This name should match the workgroup name of the other computers that you want to share files with.
On the File and printer sharing page, do one of the following:
To enable file and printer sharing, click Turn on file and printer sharing. Windows Firewall will be configured to allow file and printer sharing on your network.
To disable file and printer sharing, click Turn off file and printer sharing. Windows Firewall will block file and printer sharing on your network. If you currently have shared files or printers, they will no longer be shared.
Complete the rest of the wizard.