Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Studio Monitors

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by miroslav View Post
    I was checking out a YT monitor shootout by a "name" engineer (though TBH, I can't remember now who it was, but I can find it)...and they had like 10 sets of monitors...all top-shelf stuff. I think the "lower end" was still at like $3k per moniotor...
    That was Warren Huart at Vintage king audio.
    Next he's gonna do a "high end" shoot out.

Its funny cause his 'lower end' and 'mid level' is still out of reach to most.

Now a record production deal where you get 30k on the front end, makes that stuff obtainable, but don't think I'll fall into that anytime soon. Lol

Thanks
    Yeah...that's the one.

Right, his "low-end" is more pricier than my current high-end.

I'm sure he's paid well for his projects and can afford that upper-end without busting his budget.

Thanks
    In theory, a new recordist could buy new monitors equalized for the ears inability to hear bass correctly at 80SPL, and maybe some equalized to hear bass accurately at 90SPL, etc..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    In theory, a new recordist could buy new monitors equalized for the ears inability to hear bass correctly at 80SPL, and maybe some equalized to hear bass accurately at 90SPL, etc..
    Yeah, I suppose - but what about the fact he has no clue or experience to make judgement upon what he is hearing? Not that that theory has any relevance to begin with... IMO.

Sorry, but I haven't a clue where you are trying to take this man.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    "Well, we could go back to full range Drivers ? I've been toying with the idea of bolting a 3, or, 4-inch into the hole of a cinder block for many years. This 4-inch looks to have pretty smooth midrange. Not much for Alnico in the small sizes : )

No- x-over distortions and a inert container "

Yes an inert CONTAINER G but a resonant cavity. I have built more speakers over the years than I care to remember but these days it is a very precise science (and really good monitors are not THAT expensive) How do you dampen the cavity and by how much? I doubt you have the gear to test it.

"No crossover (network!) distortion" Well they don't anyway if done right but you need big mother foil caps and Fe free inductors. Maybe you are going for line level filters? What filter rate? They have to compliment the driver and again need specialized measuring kit and room to test in.

Ok playing with speakers for a bit of fun but it has been a long, hard road to get to the performance of modern speakers, especially low colouration mid range speakers! I would rather trust to the expertise of Tannoy, Focal, Adam et al.... (even if some seem to come half born in the box!)

Dave.

Thanks
    None of my built boxes have been ported, and they've been stuffed. I'm just talking a better made speaker than the types I'm up to my belly button in. no way I could buy Lowther drivers. hhhah. I'm interested in the free air sound of the radio speaker

Thread Information