Strange Hard Drive Glitch

rjt

I'm not sure what to make of this. I have an 850 p3 with scsi drives. I recently added a seagate 37 gig scsi drive and formatted it (on advice of these forums) to read slightly larger chunks of data than the average microsoft hard drive (64 instead of 32). Anyway, I have the two programs in question, Sonar 1.3 and Vegas 2.0 on my C drive and I am using the new hardrive for writing/reading audio data only (the two programs are set up with default save folders there etc.) This is what happens, once or twice an hour, the sound "drops out" for about 1-2 seconds... then starts up where it dropped out. I hear a bit of a noise from the machine (one of those typical scsi noises you hear when it boots). It only does this when playing back and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I am playing back 2 tracks or 8 (havn't tried more than 8 recently). Sonar does not tell me I have "audio droppout", it just stops for a second... then keeps going. It is difficult to read the little disk usage messages in Vegas (on the toolbar), but that doesn't seem excessive, disk and CPU usage in Sonar are typically around 3-4%. Fortunately, this has not happened while recording... only on playback...
I'll bite, what the heck is it?

Thanks in Advance

Maybe SMART monitoring is on and/or your disk is heating. Those latest scsi hd get very hot.

Smart continuously monitors your disk to warn for failures, and writes sometimes info to your disk. It can be disabled in the bios sometimes.

If your disk gets to hot (10.000rpm types certainly), it might recalibrate. A fan never hurts but makes noise.

I Defrag about once a week.

I'll call my computer guy tomorrow and ask about the disk getting hot.... any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help so far....

Back