Strange Feedback

ane_croft

Hi everyone, didn't intend for my first post to a help thread, but this came up before I could post on the Newbie section.

I sent this message over to the Two Notes help desk, so I've just included that here. I can't post the videos of the problem until I post a few times

I've been using my Captor for about 2 weeks now, without issue. My connection is; Mesa Triple Rectifier into the Captor, line out to a Scarlett 2i2 interface, into a MacBook Pro running Wall of Sound in Logic Pro X. My guitar connection is; guitar, to tuner pedal, to Tube Screamer, to amp input. My delay pedal is in the amps FX loop. Those are the only pedals, beside the amps footswitch.

Last night, I plugged in, like I have been with no issue and I got a strange feedback noise. After trying to figure out where the feedback was coming from, I realized it spiked when I touched my computer (the aluminum bodied MacBook), my interface (also aluminum bodied), and also when I touched the Captor. I unplugged my guitar, and it still did it. I closed Logic Pro X and it still did it.

I unhooked the Captor and plugged into my cabinet, and there was no feedback issue. There was a buzzing noise present in the amp, even with volume down all the way, that wasn't previously there. But no feedback. I then tried the XLR DI out, still feedback. Tried to eliminate the FX loop, still feedback. I then removed my tube screamer from the chain, and the feedback was gone. At this point, even clicking on the tube screener would produce instant feedback until I touched the strings or played. That said, without the tube screamer on, I still noticed a lessening of the hum in the signal when I touched the computer, interface, or Captor.

I'm not sure the Captor is the issue here, so I'm not sure how much help you'll be able to provide. But, the Captor is technically part of the chain that is producing this feedback, so I was hoping you would at least have a little insight into the problem because I'm pretty lost at this point!

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Is this the device you are asking about?

If so, are you powering it with an adapater or phantom power? Have you tried both?

Yep, that's the device. It only requires power when using the DI/XLR out. You can use phantom power or a power supply. They recommend using the line out because the dry signal works better their cabinet simulation software.

I'm not even sure it's the problem with the device. I feel like it's some kind of loop I'm in with my connections.

Well, obviously start with just running the guitar into the amp and nothing else. Eliminate wall wart power supply to pedals if you're using one and start with battery operation first, then the Mesa's line out to the interface to computer and see if it starts. Then swap in the Captor thing. Good luck, and let us know if you isolate the problem.

Back