Storing Electronics

lcuddy

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. Can you store electronic equipment on top of other equipment? I used to leave my Sega Genesis on top of my VCR as a kid and as far as I know it was fine.

But what about storing, say, an audio interface or mixer on top of a power conditioner? Will one device damage the others in any way?

Your biggest enemy is heat. If the devices don't produce a lot of heat, then it is fine. Some devices do, which is why it's generally a good idea to keep them apart or, in the case of a rack, 1U apart. Some racks have fans in them for this purpose. Exposing electronic equipment to a lot of heat for extended periods of time will shorten its lifespan.

At home I have a Edirol FA-101 and a Samson S-Control that are stacked on one another (the S-Control is on the bottom). The S-Control produces a lot of heat for some reason but because it's got these raised corners, the Edirol can sit on it with sufficient airflow in between. I do turn the S-Control off when I'm not using it, though, as a precautionary measure.

But yeah, for the most part you should be find if you're using modern audio interfaces and other equipment.

Cheers :)

Ok thanks that helps. I might just get a rack anyway... I've got a lot of stuff now so maybe it's time.

Back