Still not sure what Bit Depth/Sample Rate to use - Dithering probs?

wes480

I am getting the idea that it is ok to record at a bit depth higher than you are going to use on the end medium - but that doing the same thing with sample rate can make you end up with results?

I am starting recording for a CD this weekend...and I want to get off on the right foot. 24 bit seems to be a winner with everyone...and it isn't going to mess things up going to a 16 or 20bit cd?

As far as sample rate, I've read threads where people say anything other than 44.1khz gives bad results when you have to dither to it from say 96, or 48..etc.

So, right now I am thinking 24/44.1 is the way to go for CD projects. What do you guys think?

thats what i prefer.......

if you have the resources/system to handle TWICE the amount of space/power needed to do 88.2khz, it does sound better...but you NEED a GREAT program for sampling down......

1) You don't "dither" when changing sample rate, you up-sample or down-sample or as it's generally called, "resample". Dither is the process of adding sympathetic noise (glorified averaging really) to the least significant bit (or bits) when going from a high bit depth to a lower bit depth. Resampling is the process of converting from, say, 96,000 samples per second to 44,100 samples per second, and this routine is just as important as a good dither routine.

2) Recording at 24bit doesn't have anything to do with the fact that your end distribution medium will be CD. You simply have to dither down to 16bit and downsample to 44.1Khz. No big deal.

3) Wavelab is great software...mmmm. Spendy though. I bet Sound Forge isn't too bad.

4) Recording and mixing at higher bitdepths and sample rates will have a positive impact on your sound quality, even though in the end you'll be going to 16/44. The reason for this, basically, is that the signal processing routines (from mixing to effects) will work at a much higher precision, leaving you with a more accurate (better sounding) end product, even after dithering and downsampling.

5) I personally think that 24bit/44.1Khz is a fine resolution. Jumping to 96khz is really hard on the system, and I can't really hear 48Khz making a huge impact. And it's just easier to work with 44.1khz files because you don't have as much conversion to worry about when working in multiple applications or multiple source files (e.g. importing files from fruity loops, etc).

Slackmaster 2000

Back