Stfu psu

fat_fleet

Swollen Member
I'm in the market for a nice quiet power supply unit for my new recording desktop and will now be fielding your suggestions :D

Looking to spend under or around $100, and it would be awesome if Amazon stocked it because I've got some credit with them right now. Thanks! All other threads I found on this were a few years old and I figure things have changed...

I'm in the market for a nice quiet power supply unit for my new recording desktop and will now be fielding your suggestions :D

Looking to spend under or around $100, and it would be awesome if Amazon stocked it because I've got some credit with them right now. Thanks! All other threads I found on this were a few years old and I figure things have changed...

Like the internal power supply for the PC?

Almost any will do you? I use Corsair myself. Antec are known for making some great power supply units. But I can't really give you any specifically quiet ones. Most will have a fan in. Best you can do is make the rest of the fans in your computer quieter. Or move it away from where you are recording.

Like the internal power supply for the PC?

yeah...

Almost any will do you? I use Corsair myself. Antec are known for making some great power supply units. But I can't really give you any specifically quiet ones. Most will have a fan in. Best you can do is make the rest of the fans in your computer quieter.

The power supply really is the main offender in this tower though. A friend of mine put it together and he meant it to be a gaming PC (in which case the fan noise wouldn't matter) and put the cheapest possible psu into it. While the noise isn't deafening I can definitely imagine it stacking up with a larger track count.
I hear good things about the Antecs and I know a few of the Seasonics are advertised as being "silent", but I was just kinda fishing around for personal experiences...

"gaming PC" and "cheapest possible psu" should never be used in the same sentence. You gotta take good care of a machine like that. Just as you do a music computer. Mine is both. The addition of a good graphics card turned it into a monster of a gaming rig.

My best advice is to just move your PC somewhere that the noise can't be picked up. Perhaps turn your fans off or to lowest setting whilst recording, then back up when the computer needs to do the heavy processing. Stick a pillow over it or something. But you should really be recording close enough to pick it up either way. Turning my fans down, my computer becomes basically silent. I can be 2 feet away and still not pick up any fan hum. =P If your power unit is really that noisy on its own though, then it sounds like just replacing with any good PSU will do it justice. Cheap stuff is never a good idea with a great machine. The only think you should ever need to cheap out on are the CD/DVD drives. =P Doesn't matter what price those things are, they are all as reliable and fast as each other.

"gaming PC" and "cheapest possible psu" should never be used in the same sentence. You gotta take good care of a machine like that. Just as you do a music computer. Mine is both. The addition of a good graphics card turned it into a monster of a gaming rig.

I admittedly know next to nothing about gaming PC requirements, or even computer parts in general, but I guess I always thought those PSUs only differ in chassis size, wattage and connectors...

Gaming PC with the cheapest possible PSU doesn't really even make sense - it would take about 5 of the cheapest possible PSUs (which are usually those 250 watt rosewills with like 4 amps on the 12v rail) just to run a mid-level gaming video card. Also, noise and price don't correlate in the way you seem to think they do - but regardless of that - there are PSUs that have huge, passive heatsinks and no fans. Some of them are even pretty reliable, if you still put any stock in user reviews....which I don't because the people writing them are generally retarded, I've noticed. (Praising things before they even use them and/or blaming obvious operator retardation on the device or "crappy drivers..."...but I digress..)

Here's some - Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Power Supplies, Power Supplies, 0

If you remove (or replace with a non-gaming one) the video card that I'd assume is in that gaming computer, one of those might work for you.

Is it showing up in your recordings?

stealth computer - fanless computing, fanless rack servers, fanless mini pc models, silent computers

Quiet PC Systems, Quiet PC Parts

Home Page

There's a lot more info out there.

I might add that a good GAMING PC means the fastest CPU and Video card you can keep running and not melting down. So lots of fans is a given.

A good MUSIC PC would be one that's fast enough to run the software you want, but to do it quietly. So an SSD drive for the OS; a fanless video card (you don't need fast video anyway); and possibly a fanless Power Supply unit (you can find them at the sites above, they take out the fan and replace it with a massive heat sink.

Check out these guys link they are in the UK but I have been buying stuff from them into Oz, they ship everywhere, just check that the voltage is for your country.

Even if you don't use them, surf the products and then do a search in your country for a supplier.

Alan

My Seasonic x560 is silent. The lower wattage (around 450, IIRC) doesn't even have a fan, but depending on your rig, may not have enough juice.

A high quality, lower wattage PSU is better to have than higher wattage cheapo crappy PSU.

I did a lot of research into my PSU. The Seasonic is rock solid, I think I read a review on Toms Hardware or somewhere like that. They were astounded by its stability. Might be a touch expensive, though, but it's worth it. You need a quality PSU to feed quality components safely.

On another note, the Seasonic was the most beautifully packaged item I ever bought!

PS. I don't work for them or anything, I'm just very pleased with mine!

My Seasonic x560 is silent....

Yeah, I've heard good things about them.

I built a little janky cabinet for the tower from plywood and 2x4s and have everything up and running again. Even with the door of the cabinet closed I can hear that damn fan, although it's not as bad as it used to be. I'm thinking of lining the inside with some kind of closed-cell foam..... don't know if anyone has suggestions for that.... would be cool if someone knew of something I could just buy off the shelf somewhere that would offer decent sound absorption. I'll give that a try, and if the fan noise still stacks up, I'll just get a Seasonic. At least now I've got stuff off the ground/table now, freeing up space like a Tokyo architect. Pretty psyched about that.

I ran a longish USB cord out to a hub, taped up under a 32" flatscreen and can now just walk around the room with a wireless mouse and go from drums to guitar to bass with way less effort than before. :D

Tower.jpg

Screen.jpg

Back