Steinberg Project Pack sound card, overall quality/preamp quality?

Dolemite

I've noticed the Steinberg Project Pack priced much lower than other pro audio sound cards ($100 at many online retailers) and I was looking for any opinions on it. It includes a Steinberg software bundle and a 2-in 2-out sound card with a mic preamp and an S/PDIF out. The sound card appears to be an Audiotrak MAYA which is made by Ego Sys. One thing that grabbed my attention about it is the mic preamp. Most pro audio cards don't bother with a mic preamp since this is usually best left to either a mixer or a dedicated mic preamp. Anyway, I was hoping someone could comment on the quality of this card and especially the quality of the mic preamp. I know the preamps on consumer level cards are basically unusable but if this one was halfway decent it might save me some $$$. Also, based on the specs on the Audiotrak MAYA this card has -10 db unbalanced inputs. Would this present major problems when going from a +4 db balanced or unbalanced output to the soundcard? Any advice is appreciated.

Back