Steinberg MI4 vs today's interfaces?

ScottyP

Posted this in the Cubase group. Hope it's okay to post it here as well. if not please advise and I'll delete. Thx, SP

Hi Gang - My first post. Thx in advance for any direction you can offer.

In 2004 I bought a Cubase System 4 and did a bit of home recording until the Cubase daw drove my nuts and I stopped.

Fast forward to today; I'm about to start recording again and wonder about the MI4 - the interface that came with the Sysytem 4 many moons ago.

Anyone know how it compares to today's interface in the $150-$200 range? I'm guessing today's have better preamps and specs, but - before I spend money on a new AI - just want to make sure the MI4 isn't a vintage gem with high quality guts, blah, blah, blah.

Assuming it's not a keeper, I'm guessing a Fosrite or Presonus unit will do me just fine.

Btw, I'll be single-tracking acoustic guitars, vocals, harmonies, drum loops, etc. Nothing exotic!

Thanks,
ScottyP, Tucson
40+ year solo guitar vocalist and recovering classic rock coverboy who - as God is my witness - will never perform Brown Eyed Girl again. Or Margarittaville. Amen.

Can't go wrong with the Steinberg UR22. Look it up. Good quality, relatively inexpensive. The UR44 has 2 more inputs (4 total) but cost a little more.

Yes, thanks. I'm well aware of the many solid options in a new AI. My question was about my old MI4 and whether it should be replaced or not. Any advice there?

I'd never even heard of the MI4, I had to Google it. That's a pretty old piece of gear, and the main concern with old computer hardware is driver support on modern operating systems. Unless you're using an old computer that's still running Windows XP or Vista or a Mac running Leopard or Panther, then you're not going to have driver support. it might still work as a class-compliant USB device but any special things that it does outside of the USB standard will be lost.

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to ditch the old MI4 and go with a modern interface. But that's just me. Some people around here still cling to their old outdated hardware and operating systems for whatever reasons. It works for them. But I'd rather take a hot poker in the eye than regress back to XP or Vista...

Back