Static in monitors

dmizesr

I hope this is the right place for this. I was using a Lexicon Lambda for recording and I decided to upgrade to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. It works find except now I have lots of static in my powered monitors. There's a low level of constant noise which kicks up when I move the mouse. If I unplug the Scarlett USB of course everything goes silent. I didn't have this static at all with the Lambda. The Scarlett is USB powered (as was the Lambda) so I can't put a filter on it so what should I be looking at? Maybe a ferrite bead on the USB? Maybe line filters on the power to the monitors? Maybe I'm an idiot?

Any and all help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DWM

If you are using a mouse can I assume you are using a desktop PC? If so you may have fallen foul of a 'digital ground loop'. Do you hear the noise in headphones from the 2i4? If so, is it still there when the monitors are unplugged? If not, ground loop and you need to break the screen connection between AI and monitors but first, are you using balanced cables to the monitors? Sreens can be dissed (one end only) by physically cutting them or with a 1: 1 isolating transformer.

If you can prove it is not a digital loop then I am pretty sure the Lambda was USB 1.1 and the F'rite is of course 2.0, might therefore be an idea to check the USB drivers are up to date? (might even work to roll them back!) .

Ferrite lumps on USB cables are rare now but you can buy clip-ons but I don't hold out much hope in that direction. Naturally try different USB ports, desktops tend to have a gaggle. Another suggestion, a PCI/PCIe USB card. A 2 port jobbie costs peanuts and if you get one that takes power from a spare SATA plug that might fix things. You could TRY a powered USB hub but generally AI don't like 'em.

Dave.

+1 for some kind of filtering. If the mouse is cordless, try a corded mouse. If not, if you have another mouse, swap it out and re-check. Noisy power supplies or weak/poor grounding have strange ways of presenting themselves. Also, wouldn’t hurt to contact the mfg if it’s a new I/f see what they say.

Best of luck!

I suggested a PCIe USB 2.0 card with a power option?
Just for the craic I had a look. Not common! Amazon seem to do just USB 3.0 (and a few 3.1) in PCIe. You can still find PCI USB 2.0 but many PCs either don't have PCI slots or they are used up.

USB 3.0 should be fine with 2.0 devices but AIs are fussy bstds at the best of times and I should hate anyone to splash $30 on a card and find it not to work. For the record, my NI KA6 works fine on 3.0.

The prices seem all over the shop as well. I have used "Startech" boards in the past without issue.

Dave.

Back