Startin' over...need some advice

lo beam

OK...not been on here fer ages. Moved to NZ from UK, left/sold all my tape recording gear ( ahhh, my beloved Tascam R2R), Yamaha 16G, pres...the lot.
All I have now is access to a p.c (pretty good specs but just standard AC97 s/card with 1/8" mic & line-in), coupla decent condensers (Oktava & ADK) and my trusty PZM mic.

So...what I need is either a new s/card (not a good option - it's not my pc), a cheap pre so I can use my condenser mics ( was thinkin Audio Buddy - but then, I'd hafta connect into the crappy mic input on the s/card wouldn't I?) or one of those M-Audio Mobile-pres (the USB ones).

I'll only be working up demos & recording two tracks simultaneously max.

Any thoughts?

Cheers guys...

if you want to go PCI, arguably the three best choices for a two-input card woudl be

m-audio audiophilie
e-mu 0404
echo mia midi

they are all good cards.

Ta...but upgrading someone else's pc isn't an appealing option.
So, the two other choices? AudioBud or MobilePre.

I've heard AB has the better pres...but connectivity is also a factor for me.
My s/card has only mini jack line & mic inputs.

How does the AB hook up anyways?

The audio buddy has two Unbalanced/balanced 1/4" jacks as its output...

The mobile pre uses the same two Unbalanced/balanced 1/4" and also has a stereo line out. It is USB, so I would think that would count as an output methinks. It is also bus powered, so you dont need that hefty AC adaptor to lug around if you connect up the USB. It is worth pointing out that its only 16Bit/48Khz capable tho... but that would prolly be cause of the USB... you could still use the output to another sound card if you wanted to I spose to get a better sample rate.

Anyhows...

Theros

The TASCAM US122 does what you're looking for, with phontom pres, inserts, DI for guitar/bass, and 24 bit.

apl said:
The TASCAM US122 does what you're looking for, with phontom pres, inserts, DI for guitar/bass, and 24 bit.

Yup...I've got one and it has performed flawlessly so far.
I've had it 2 months or so now and I'm pleasantly surprised by both the mic pres and it's low noise. I've had zero problems with it. Great little box.

I need is either a new s/card (not a good option - it's not my pc),

apologies, it was late and i didn't pick that part up. :) . I would also recommend the tascam if you are wanting to go with usb. i don't know how much the built-in pres add to the price but it is a good little unit. it is capable of 24 bit recording as well. I have had some issues with it and my nvidia nforce network drivers but other than that, it has served my needs very well.

Cool. Will check out the Tascam...sounds good.

Not hearing much love for the M-Audio products though - I thought they were supposed to be good little deals?

Their PCI products are good, but their usb/firewire products are on the expensive side and don't do so well price/performance wise against competitors lke Tascam, Presonus etc.

So you're in Wellington eh? That's my hometown

I may just grab an Audio Buddy off ebay or something...can't really fall off if I only spend $50 or so.
Pity you can't get any decent gear in NZ without paying hefty prices I'm finding...
You in Welly still?

One other thing...

If I buy a US pre, will a plug adapter take care of the wall wart - or do I need a step-down/up transformer?

NZ voltage is 230/240 & I think US is 110. Is that right?

Cheers....

yeah, i would assume that for any device that required its own AC power source, it is probably made for 110V if its inteded to sell in the states. A step down transformer will probably be required but the users manual will definately fill you in.

lo beam said:
I may just grab an Audio Buddy off ebay or something...can't really fall off if I only spend $50 or so.
Pity you can't get any decent gear in NZ without paying hefty prices I'm finding...
You in Welly still?

Have a look at http://www.midi-store.com/shop/start.cgi. They ship overseas. That's where I got my Delta 44. The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment, plus you don't pay GST.

Yep still here in Wellywood, out in Miramar not too far from Jackson's studios

Back