STA ADC & DAC 2000...any hope for using on post-Windows XP computer??

moogyboy

hey all

Any help here would be super appreciated. I inherited one of these from my ex-bandmate and fellow recordista. He tells me that this PCI-based interface will only work under Windows XP as apparently those are the only drivers available for it. A google search turns up very little if any info on it, other than a few users reporting no luck running it under Windows 7. Seems to be a rather obscure piece of equipment. But part of me just can't believe that a fairly nice interface like this would have just gone obsolete that quickly. If not an official driver, might there be an unofficial one floating around somewhere, or perhaps some other workaround that you guys might be aware of? I'm looking to get a PC together again to replace my arthritic old iMac, and even though I also have an M-Audio Delta 66 that I can easily press back into service (I assume it's still supported on the latest Windows versions), I hope I can do *something* with the STA. It looks like it's has 8 in/8 out TRS, two XLR mic inputs, MIDI in/out/thru in a solidly made 1U rack unit, and separate PCI slot breakout for SPDIF. It looks like it would work well with my old Tascam M-216 mixer. Thoughts? Thanks...

cheers

Billy S.

Hi Billy!
You seem to have been ignored? There is a way to run XP "inside" Win 7 (and 8,8.1 and 10 4all I know?) but the function was not available on the bog S W7 Home Premium. Do not however despair! I read a couple of years ago that it IS possible to download apps that will give you this capability on W7 HP. It was in one of the better PC magazines and I will try to find which if I can.

Alternatively of course you could build an XP machine? In fact it is going to be a rather old MOBO that has PCI slots so not a crazy combination? Such a PC would not be that powerful by today's standards but so long as you can get the tracks down you can export them (copper net?) to a fire breathing, modern i7 Deep Thought monster!

Dave.

Back