SSD Crash/Not Crash?

BroKen_H

Re-member
Having an interesting problem. The SSD that my music and music software (Reason) are installed on SEEM to have crashed. Every time I try to load Reason the drive disappears. Disappears as in that drive letter no longer exists to the computer. Restarting fixes the problem. Tried to copy all the info onto an external and it kept doing the same thing. Drive letter disappears and the copy stops. Tried to use chkdsk with the same issue. SeaTools: same. Okay, something on the drive is causing it to fail massively.

There are lots of experiences LIKE this out in cyberspace, but they are mostly time based. "Drive fails after X amount of time and I need to reboot."
I have run this drive without trying to start Reason for two weeks without a problem. I can read and write to it, anything I want as long as I don't hit mess with any of the files that are having the problem. Don't understand how a corrupted file could completely wipe the drive off the map.

Any clues?

You might try a new or different SATA cable between the SSD and your SATA header on the motherboard. I ran into a problem with one of my cables not being up to the task of supporting my SSD. I swapped it out with one of the cables that came with the motherboard and it worked like a charm. I ended up throwing away a couple of those crappy SATA cables, they were both worthless (yet NewEgg still sells them!).

Maybe make sure that the SSD is properly cooled? could it be overheating and going into some sort of thermal protection mode? I'm just grasping at straws...

Thanks Tadpui, that's the common solution. I was going to buy a new cable, but then I had a thought, since I have two SSD drives. I traded the cables between my two SSD drives and the same drive still fails. I suppose a $3.50 new cable won't break the bank, but I'm going to doubt it will help based on what I did today. While I had it apart, I maybe should have tried a different SATA port as well, but considering the bad drive stayed bad and the good drive stayed good, I'm probably wasting time. Just cough up the $99 for a new 240GB drive (about a third what this one cost three years ago) and move on. I'll probably order the new cable with just to be on the safe side. :)

They say the locking cables work best for SSDs. Didn't know about them three years ago...I'll get that as well.

Yeah, sounds like the evidence points towards a bum SSD then. It's a great time in history to be buying SSD, that's for sure!

If you need to recover your data, there are some good tools out there to help you do it.

I'd recommend rsync (requires some linux-fu). It does syncing rather than raw copying, so if the backup crashes, you can pick up where you left off. (Or if the backup consistently crashes on the same file, you know which file to skip)

First off Ken I would contact the SSD manfctr and see if they have any ideas, they will surely have some drive test software?

Next ask at Sound on Sound forum. Guys like Pete of Scan fame have vast knowledge of such problems.

Dave.

Already have most of it backed up. There were some files I had to skip because it drops out when those files are touched.

Thanks Dave. That's great advice.

Back