SSD already full!

Btyre2013

just a warning, SSD's are great but damn they can easily fill up quick...bought a new one at new year, it's 250 gig and almost full already! so now I need a 500 gig one, it gets expensive. I'm using sata III and it's an extremely fast disk but I don't understand how it can already be this full lol

just a warning, SSD's are great but damn they can easily fill up quick...bought a new one at new year, it's 250 gig and almost full already! so now I need a 500 gig one, it gets expensive. I'm using sata III and it's an extremely fast disk but I don't understand how it can already be this full lol

Full of what?
I generally keep my old sessions on a separate mechanical drive to keep usage down and to keep them safe(r).
Something to think about?

So far I only use SSDs for system drives, and still use traditional HDDs for data. Grab a WD Black in 1TB or up to 4TB. They're cheap, fast, and have high capacity. And when it fills up, buy another one just like it!

Si. I use one SSD for my sound (the reason sound banks, soundfonts, etc.) and one for my project folders. When I finish a project it gets moved to a different drive. Playback and minor mods done on my WD Black drive (3TB) is plenty fast enough once the tracks are mostly bounced (I guess non Reason users call the "Freezed").
Made an SSD boot drive for my wife's computer and she filled it up by installing all her games to the C: drive...now I get to uninstall a bunch of games and reinstall them on the F: drive :D

I have my OS and cubase, lightroom, wavelab e.t.c all on the C:// and the actual audio files and projects on another HDD, it seems as though Cubase 8 is much bigger than 7.5, it's really weird, I managed to clear 40 gig just from unistalling the grand 3, so for now this will have to be a solution until I get a bigger SSD.

I do the same The SSD is my working drive, only what I am currently working on will be on that drive. I have a 2 TB normal drive in the computer that I use for storage.

I have my OS and cubase, lightroom, wavelab e.t.c all on the C:// and the actual audio files and projects on another HDD, it seems as though Cubase 8 is much bigger than 7.5, it's really weird, I managed to clear 40 gig just from unistalling the grand 3, so for now this will have to be a solution until I get a bigger SSD.

You've got something weird going on, I reckon.
250gig is a lot of space, especially when you're not sure how it got filled up! :eek:
Is there any chance windows is doing rolling system restore points on your sys drive, or something like that?

I ran with a 60gb ssd for over year. OK it was tight but I had Protools, video editing software, a modest music library and a session or two.
My current laptop system drive is a 250gb and it's half full, or half empty, or two times bigger than it needs to be, depending on your outlook.
I haven't found myself giving much thought to how much or how little I put on there.

As it 'appens! Last week I bought my daughter this...Silicon Power 2.5 inch 1TB USB 3.0 SP Rugged Armor A30 Shockproof External Portable Hard Drive - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Installed PDQ on both my HP laptop and her works Dell. She has a desktop the like of which you have never seen! Not a square cm free of an icon! She only had 43G left of an already small 120G drive but wanted to save a lot of family photos and videos plus back up her work from college where she teaches.

I bought a MilSpec shockproof drive because she is not that "techno friendly"! I would say the drive is ideal for the jobbing, itinerant muso/recordist? Will slip into a pocket and can be used to keep the internal drive pristine. It seems it will also survive the odd pint of lager!

Dave.

I have Logic for compatibility reasons, it's not my primary DAW (A producer friend uses it, so I got it so I could take his sessions in, in their original form)

One thing with Logic is if you install the additional content, it puts LOADS of stuff on the system drive....

Others likely do the same....

there is a workaround for Logic where you can use shortcuts in place of the folders, pointing to the folders moved to another drive. Works well to free up loads of space

Worth looking into... may be the case in your situation, and the same workaround may work for you as well

just a thought

"there is a workaround for Logic where you can use shortcuts in place of the folders, pointing to the folders moved to another drive. Works well to free up loads of space"

Works for anything. On my 2TB NAS drive I create a folder called, for instance ".pdfs and Schematics" I then make a shortcut of it and cut and paste that to (say) this laptop's desktop. I now just have to drop stuff into the shortcut to dump them into the NAS.

One rider. I have set the NAS drive so that it "sleeps", gets pretty hot otherwise, and so the first time you try to access it, it takes some 20seconds to wake up but after that it is like any other drive albeit the transfer rate is slow. The same trick with a USB 3.0 connected drive is more like having it inside the PC.

Dave.

I'm curious, what does ssd have to do with your not understanding what 'filled up' the drive? Ssd or not, data management is a fundamental part of any computer solution. As others have mentioned you can move general 'junk' (music, old projects, pics of the fam, pr0n collection) to another drive. Personally, as the costs of ssd and 'thumb drives' are now reasonable, I use all SSD for longer term archiving of files. Thimb drives are handy for keeping a backup if family pics, docs, etc. Sorry, there is no perpetually self expanding hard drive...yet. Best of luck!

I'm curious, what does ssd have to do with your not understanding what 'filled up' the drive? Ssd or not, data management is a fundamental part of any computer solution. As others have mentioned you can move general 'junk' (music, old projects, pics of the fam, pr0n collection) to another drive. Personally, as the costs of ssd and 'thumb drives' are now reasonable, I use all SSD for longer term archiving of files. Thimb drives are handy for keeping a backup if family pics, docs, etc. Sorry, there is no perpetually self expanding hard drive...yet. Best of luck!

I understand, it's a plextor m6 sata III drive. I am putting all my 'data' onto another 1TB HDD so there's literally no junk on the C drive, only programmes that I NEED, no crap at all, yet it's mysteriously gone from around 100 gig to almost 250 gig in a matter of weeks, have used disc cleanup, and checked pretty much everything and also have a pretty good knowlege of computers yet it's still almost full lol so my next plan is to format it and re-install everything, it's a pain but it has to be done unless I solve the problem, it might have become corrupted somehow but I don't know how...the disc is so fast that a complete re-install does not bother me too much. What do you think?

There's literally no junk on the C drive, only programmes that I NEED, no crap at all,
yet it's mysteriously gone from around 100 gig to almost 250 gig in a matter of weeks

150 gigs in a few weeks is a problem. Surely you'd struggle to record or download that much without knowing about it, right?

What about system restore? Is it creating restore points on your sys drive?

Format seems overkill at this stage - Track the space down!
I lost 16gb one time and tracked it down to one file. Turns out it was a ram cache (the size of your physical ram) for when the computer sleeps.

If you don't want to do it manually you get programs that'll categorise it all for you so you cans see what's going on.

150 gigs in a few weeks is a problem. Surely you'd struggle to record or download that much without knowing about it, right?

What about system restore? Is it creating restore points on your sys drive?

Format seems overkill at this stage - Track the space down!
I lost 16gb one time and tracked it down to one file. Turns out it was a ram cache (the size of your physical ram) for when the computer sleeps.

If you don't want to do it manually you get programs that'll categorise it all for you so you cans see what's going on.

amazingly, my computer is working flawlessly, it has barely slowed down. I'm going to get my mate to look at it who started his own IT company, he is a computer expert. I'll see what he says, thanks for the suggestions though steenamaroo

I finally got to the bottom of this...turns out it was system restore! I deleted all but the most recent one and BOOM, almost 100 gig free, now I can re-install some important software, thanks steenamaroo your advice was gold! I found out through installing treesize, and following your advice.

here's what the new C drive looks like:View attachment 92925

I finally got to the bottom of this...turns out it was system restore! I deleted all but the most recent one and BOOM, almost 100 gig free, now I can re-install some important software, thanks steenamaroo your advice was gold! I found out through installing treesize, and following your advice.

here's what the new C drive looks like:View attachment 92925

Whaddya know. ;)

I'm not a windows guy but I imagine you can either limit the space system restore can use, or tell it to save system restore info to an external drive?
Might be something to ask your pal about.

Glad you found the cause of the problem, though. :)

Back