Sporadic latency on the US-122

futbol1097

I recently asked for advice on a latency problem I'm having with my Tascam US-122. I am using a cheapo recording software (Acoustica Mixcraft) and I don't doubt that this is part of the latency issue. However, the fix I sought to implement was to disable input monitoring altogether through my computer's sound card and directly monitor tracking through my Tascam US-122, and the "direct monitoring" control. From what I gathered from responses, this should eliminate any latency while overdubbing.

My question is how do I properly configure Mixcraft to allow for direct hardware monitoring? It does not support ASIO drivers, but again, this shouldn't affect anything because I am going directly through the US-122.
Do I just have to change my "output" soundcard to the US-122 soundcard instead of my computer soundcard, or is it more complicated than that. Unfortunately Mixcraft doesn't have a "direct monitor" control like Cubase so its not as simple as pushing a button. The weird thing is that when I did change the soundcard output to the 122, latency was eliminated for a brief time when I recording with headphones through the Tascam. This was without even turning the US-122 "Direct Monitor" control ON. After about 15 mins of use and a few tracks, however, latency became a noticeable problem. When I switched ON direct monitoring on the Tascam, nothing changed (which tells me I'm not using the function correctly).

What gives? How was I able to eliminate latency for a brief time without even using the Direct Monitor control, and why did latency get gradually worse? All I want to do is record one-track at a time without latency through the Tascam so I am trying to find the easiest way to do this.

Thanks for the help,
E

Back