SPDIF or Coaxial stabdard audio to monitors?

rayc

retroreprobate
My monitors take coax, SPDIF and standard line. My interface can handle these.
Which results in best audio?

Well, when you say S/PDIF, I assume you mean a TOSLINK optical connector. S/PDIF is a digital standard (based on the AES3 professional standard if you're interested) that can be carried by coax or optical so those two signals will be identical, at least up to the point where the leads get so long that you start to get data dropouts but that's unlikely in your set up.

Is your "standard line" balanced or unbalanced?

Even though digital is sexy, if your interface and monitors are set up for balanced ins and outs, I'd probably go that way. Using either of the S/PDIF connectors will mean another digital conversion while the analogue line will be straight of the D to A converter. However, if the analogue line is unbalanced and there's and risk of outside electrical interference, that might steer me towards one of the digital links.

Having said all that, a couple of final points:

First, unless there's something wrong, I doubt there will be much, if any difference so this is one of those "does it really matter?" questions.

Second, why not just plug in and listen and see if A) you can hear any difference and B) which you prefer if there IS a difference.?

I would never use a digital link to monitors for two main reasons...
1) Unless the monitors are VASTLY more expensive than the interface feeding them the converters are likely no better and possibly worse than said AI.

2) I want an analogue pot in the signal path to dive for when (not IF!) the digitals go apeshit at 2am. Not happened to you? You have not played with MIDI then!

One possible counter? If you had a pair of cheap ass "gotboxes" with S/PDIF inputs it would be a convenient way to drive those.

Dave.

Jim! Also need to hit Refresh on this Asus home build and I can't edit, I lose my text when I try.
Dave.

I would never use a digital link to monitors for two main reasons...
1) Unless the monitors are VASTLY more expensive than the interface feeding them the converters are likely no better and possibly worse than said AI.

2) I want an analogue pot in the signal path to dive for when (not IF!) the digitals go apeshit at 2am. Not happened to you? You have not played with MIDI then!

One possible counter? If you had a pair of cheap ass "gotboxes" with S/PDIF inputs it would be a convenient way to drive those.

Dave.

The digital conversion issue (which I hinted at) I agree with, but...

...in a powered speaker, how does the analogue input have any more easy access to level control than the digital? Surely there's a pot tucked somewhere (probably on the back, in the least convenient spot) that would control the monitor levels whatever input you use. Similarly, I'd assume that the monitor out on the AI would control levels whichever output you use.

You must have bad luck with your MIDI. I wonder if it's been talking to your web browser as well? :)

The digital conversion issue (which I hinted at) I agree with, but...

...in a powered speaker, how does the analogue input have any more easy access to level control than the digital? Surely there's a pot tucked somewhere (probably on the back, in the least convenient spot) that would control the monitor levels whatever input you use. Similarly, I'd assume that the monitor out on the AI would control levels whichever output you use.

You must have bad luck with your MIDI. I wonder if it's been talking to your web browser as well? :)

The setup I have for the main home build music computer sends the 2496 audio to a small mixer and the master control on that controls the level to the Tannoys. The Tannoy pots on the front are set for calibrated SPL. Thus I have total control of the analogue level sent to the monitor's amps.

If I use the KA6 (out of this HP laptop say) I have a big knob on top that again controls the analogue feed.

If I were to feed S/PDIF out from either soundcards I would have to use a "fader" in whichever DAW I was using and if the software goes loopy on me I am buggered!

You think it is IE11 that is causing my forum problems Bob? That would be on at least two computers and it is only HR that gives me grief!

Oh, and it is well known for MIDI gear to go ape, you will find a "MIDI PANIC" button in most DAWs with MIDI. But then I will admit that I do (well did) a lot of experimental fooking about!

Dave.

Dunno about your posting problems...I'm not having similar in Chrome or Firefox but who knows.

I agree about the need for level control on monitoring--when using my digital mixer I have an actual monitor knob in the master section; when doing simple stuff on my M Track, there's the level control there. However, my point is that the same monitor level on the OP's interface probably controls what's going to any of the three outputs. If that's not the case, I'm happy to learn different!

"I agree about the need for level control on monitoring--when using my digital mixer I have an actual monitor knob in the master section; when doing simple stuff on my M Track, there's the level control there. However, my point is that the same monitor level on the OP's interface probably controls what's going to any of the three outputs. If that's not the case, I'm happy to learn different! " (had to quote this way, this time Bobbs!)

Can't say about the digital mixer .

The M-Track has an analogue pot same as the KA6 but AFAIK a S/PDIF output is only affected by software? I can't see you would want it Jodrelling about with the Main Out pot? There is certainly a separate fader in the 2496 Control Panel for digital.

Dave.

What monitors accept SPDIF? Never heard of that before.

I wouldn't worry either way. Choose the one that is most convenient for you. The two trade offs are where the D/A occurs vs. RFI on analog cables. As bobbsy pointed out, you are moving the final D/A from your interface to your monitor. Unless you have a really great studio with a high end box, you won't hear a difference. As for interference on the analog cables, it's negligible to non-existent.

@Dave (ecc) what problems are you having with the site? If you're getting logged out after typing lots of text in a post, then you have two choices 1) Don't be so wordy.... (j/k :)) or 2) Verify you have "Remember Me" checked next to your login name.

Another thing about using digital, when you turn the monitors down, you are losing resolution. At lower volumes, you could easily be listening at 8 bits...

Gentlemen,
THANKYOU.
That's the sort of info I needed - particularly Jay's final titbit.
I asked only because the options were on the interface &/or monitors.
I've happily used analogue until yesterday.
I tried the coaxial & wasn't impressed by anything above, beyond or below analogue land but then again didn't listen critically or for long.
I have a surround sound amp & DVD player hooked up with Toslink, (that didn't seem to work well for me - only the stereo happens), recently so thought I ought to sort any other options whilst on holidays.
Now I know I can leave things as they were/are in the cave.

Back