SPDI Input?

nick 6

I just got a one year old i3 (haswell) on ebay cheap a couple of weeks ago.
My Fostex fd4 has optical in/out. I found it to work much better than RCA for Low Noise.
Of course, you need an adapter for the spdi lightpipe Input on the new motherboards.
What can I get that has the least latency (which always seems to happen with digital) ???

Theoretically, with a digital connection, quality isn't an issue. When you go with something that cheap, the biggest worry would be the quality of the drivers and the analog path.

But for that price, you could try it and if it sucks, throw it away and get an interface from a company that is known for making quality audio interfaces.

I might (probably!) have this wrong but I think the OP is looking for an RCA* to optical converter?

If so I have used several, both ways to interface a Mdisc to 2496 and they cost me about £15 each. You can buy a double converter to save the clutter of both.

They consist of a simple hex inverter to drive an IR LED and cannot introduce latency or other distortions.

*Should not be noisy? Look at possible earth loops.

Dave.

I'm totally happy with the sound I dismissed usb because I think there might be a delay or latency. The PCI-e comes from china though.

I really only need it for spdif lightpipe (in) its also spdi8 (fostex fd4) I give up with analog RCA stereo. The lightpipe has almost unnoticeable delay. It could only be better with a mixer that comes with a sound card. Some usb2 are ok.

I'm keeping it digital from the mixer. The only noise is from a mic too high up or from the original equipment.

Back