Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK - USB channel volumes only affected by gain

subversive

Hi, so I have a Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK which I am working on learning to use. I have it connected to my Windows computer, drivers installed, etc. The 12 audio channels are working and I can record multiple channels at the same time. One thing is happening which is confusing to me, though. On each channel, the volume into the DAW appears to only be controlled by the gain knob. The fader slider does not make any difference, in fact I can have it completely down and the DAW (I have tried multiple ones, and the behaviour is the same) will still recognize audio input from the channel, controlled by the gain knob.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? It seems really odd to me.

Update: Found this in the manual... "Console channels always send their post-gain, pre-EQ signal to their respective USB channel to be picked up and recorded by the PC/MAC Via USB. The 2-track (Master Left/Right) output uses the last 2 USB channels on each console and is always actively sending post fader level down the USB stream."

Does this mean the behaviour is expected? Can I get a translation...? Thanks. :)

From what I understand by looking at the Soundcraft site, the 12 MTK has "multi-track USB recording and playback". From the bit you've posted, the multi-track capability works on the same basis as 'direct-outs' on conventional analog mixers, i.e. the output is post gain, pre EQ and pre fade. Indeed this is what you described as happening, and is normal. The reason for this is that direct-outs on an analog desk used for live sound are used for things such as providing inputs to a separate mixing desk for doing a monitor mix, or for a mulit-track recorder, and with these things you do not want mixing adjustments on the main desk to interfere what's going to other devices.

In this sense, the 12 MTK behaves exactly like the majority of interfaces, i.e. levels are affected only by gain . . . because in fact there is no other control.

It would have been neat if Soundcraft had made the outputs switchable from pre- to post-fade.

However, I believe you do have post-fade capability on the 2-track master output. I understand you can toggle the USB between multi-track and 2 track. With the latter, you have access to all the track channel controls, but you can only record two tracks simultaneously. This works well if you are just recording one or two tracks at a time.

Wonderful, thank you for the reply!

Additional question, if I may. I am finding it difficult to get enough levels from a microphone (Shure PG58) into the DAW, especially when recording acoustic instruments or spoken word (full volume singing is less of a problem). Would it be expected that I might need to use a separate pre-amp for the Mic, even though the mixer has pre-amplificaition? I borrowed my father in law's Art MP pre-amp, and plugged the mic into that, then from the pre-amp into the line in on the channel and I am able to more easily get acceptable levels in the DAW.

Sends that are post gain and pre everything else are usually preferred when recording to computer. The software can do whatever adjustments will be needed later. You wouldn't want to lose some of a track because you left the fader down.

I am finding it difficult to get enough levels from a microphone (Shure PG58) into the DAW, especially when recording acoustic instruments or spoken word (full volume singing is less of a problem). Would it be expected that I might need to use a separate pre-amp for the Mic, even though the mixer has pre-amplificaition? I borrowed my father in law's Art MP pre-amp, and plugged the mic into that, then from the pre-amp into the line in on the channel and I am able to more easily get acceptable levels in the DAW.

Three main thoughts:

1 I don't know much about the PG58, but you should be able to get useable levels from it.

2 You don't need lots and lots of level in a 24bit computing environment; just about anything will do.

3 If the pre-amp that you are using is doing what you want, then that's fine . . . keep using it.

Back