Soundcards and MIDI

Booker

Hi there,

I'm probably going to buy the delta66 card. However, I make extensive use of MIDI as well as audio and I was planning on using my Soundblaster AWE32 for MIDI. Is this a wise course of action? The reason I'm asking is that many of the "pro-cards" I've looked at offer MIDI as well. Is it better to use just one card for both audio and MIDI, or is it ok to use a card like the the Delta66 together with a consumer soundblaster card? Is there a possibility of sync problems?

Thanks,
Booker.

Booker,

You could use the SB AWE32 with a Delta or something like it and have a not-too-bad synth/sampler there, assuming you have memory on the AWE card for Sound Fonts. If not, well, it will cost as much or more to add a memory module to the AWE32 card as it does to buy a new SB Live! card, which is a fair bit better -- and you can assign system RAM for Sound Font usage, no need for a memory module. (That is, if the AWE32 card even accepts memory modules -- I know the AWE 64 does and can be loaded up with up to 28MB worth of RAM module for $200 bucks...)

-AlChuck

Booker, remember that when you're looking at these "pro" cards with midi, many just have midi input rather than a midi synth such as the AWE32 and the SBLive cards.

im currently using the guillemot ISIS card , it has 8 ins and 4 outs , plus a midi in out and thru , s/pdif optical and coaxial in and out (this is all in a seperate breakout box) and goes to a pci card which has a seperate daughter board.. I dont use the midi much , but it has quite a standard midi sampler , but u can load a heap of RAM into the card and create your own soundbanks ... Im not sure how much of a professional soundcard this is , but looking at the prices of cards like the Layla from event then i think its good value ... ISIS retails at around 800 dollars australian and comes with logic platinum(old version) and a special edition of cool edit .. both fully functional demos .. Maybe this might be a better and safer option .. check it out at www.guillemot.com .... hope that helps.. see yal!!!

Back