soundcards, and cubase system 4

rxkevco

Hi,
have got cubase system 4, and installed it today,,, no probs ,all went well and i am up and running.
In a recent post , i asked about using my existing soundcard and my surround sound speakers , just for listening to my music and dvds, and using the m14 cubase interface, just for cubase. I was worried about soundcard interferance !!!!!
I was told that the only way to acheive this, is to reformat, and then partition the drive, and have xp running seperatly on both partitions, one just for cubase and its interface , and the other, to use my computer as normal using the audigy soundcard for all my music, cds, and dvds, surfing etc.
My confusion with this is,,,, i have found that when i turn on the computer, it starts as normal and my audigy zs 2 souncard is the default ( as it should be ), if i want to use cubase, i simply go into settings, and change the default soundcard to the cubase m14.
I havent had a chance to use cubase yet, or attach the monitors to the cubase interface, to check that sound is coming from the m 14, but i am sure it will work.
Surely it cant be as simple as that.??? All the people who have told me that i wont work that way, and to partition the drive,,, they cant be wrong can they ??????
Any advice, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Work commitments prevent me from being able to contine the stup and try out the sound from the m14 when cubase is running,,,,, but any help before i get back to it friday would give me a headstart.
Cheers,,,, kev.

Back