soundcard to replace Digi 001

Russellc

Like a fool I ignored the warnings and purchased the Digi 001 for PC and it is a pain in the ass. Continually crashing a 750 MHZ P3 Pc with 256 mb of ram. I figure I have a 30 day return policy, so I am considering returning it, downloading n-track, and purchasing a soundcard/interface. Both the Delta 44 and 66 look great for what I want to do. My Newbie question is this: Would I have to purchase some sort of preamp on top the the souncard/interface? How much would that cost? If it is expensive, would I be better off keeping the Digi 001 (it was 800 bucks) and using that as my soundcard/pre-amp/interface for N-track or another software program? Thanks so much.

I would return the Digi001 if you aren't happy with any part of it as the main thing it has over other soundcard/software combos is it's a total integrated package that is supposed to work well together. If it's crashing your computer, there's a good chance it's the drivers for the 001 hardware conflicting with your machine and trying to use it with other recording software probably won't solve your problem.

You will need a mic preamp with the Delta cards, but any decent dedicated mic pre is probably going to be better than the preamps on the Digi001. I think the Delta cards are good at what they do, being an interface, and they have drivers for most any operating system you would want to run. Unlike the Digi001 hardware which just has Win98 and Mac drivers. I have a Delta 1010 that I got for around $600. I'd think you could get a Delta 66 and a good mic preamp for even less than that, and at the least come in under the $800 you would get refunded on the Digi001.

I actually downloaded the free ProTools and got it working nicely with my 1010, so if you did want to still mess around with the Digidesign software you could give that a shot.

The Delta 44 or 66 can be purchased together with the new OMNI i/O box, which essentially gives you a combination with the something very much like the feature set of a Aardvark DirectPro or Seasound Solo or Echo Mona or Digi001. Somebody here (?) recently said that Guitar Center was selling them bundled for like $400...

Speaking of the Direct Pro, Aardvark has a new line of products in the family of the DirectPro and has dropped the list price of the DirectPro by $100. The cool thing about these it they have DSP effects that can be applied to the audio without using DirectX or VST effects that use CPU resources.

Hey Bones, that's my line!:)

Just to clarify (I hope), it's the DSP24 with ADC/DAC that you mean, right? I have it and it's working great with N-Track and I'm happy with the sound quality. No stable W2k drivers yet though and I'm not sure about Linux.

Bones, you don't need the MKII to use the ADCIII and DACIII. They run just as well with the original DSP24. The MKII has onboard 24bit converters but you need that as you're getting the rack boxes. Also, I think that the converters are the same in the cheaper ADC/DAC2000 (just a guess though) so all you're paying for is the preamps and I think a good 8 channel mixer will give you better resultthan the ADCIII preamps, at the same price . At least if they're anything like the ones on the ADC/DAC2000.

/Ola

I got the Aardvark Direct Pro - I'm not sure but it was something like $459 from http://www.doctoraudio.com - which I am using with N-Track and I love it so far. I have nothing to compare it to but I've had not a single problem except a few caused by my own ignorance.

Indeed Ola the DAC uses the same converters but the pre amps are MUCH better than on the C-port. I've heard them and YUMMO.

Indeed the Mk2 has the on board converters but the architecture of the card only allows 20 channels whereas the Mk2 allows 20 plus the oputboard racks, thus allowing me to run the 8 ins from the rack with a light pipe from my ADAT at once. :)

Will let you know!

Bones

I'm a student at FullSail studying to be a recording engineer. I was thinking about getting the Digi 001 because about ten kids in my class have it and they all love it, plus you can save your work to disk and take it into real studios. My question is why does your computer keep crashing and if you get another card will it still crash?

Back