Soundcard reccomendations?

Brad

Hi,
I would do a search for this, but I really don't know what I am looking for.

Here is what I would ideally want in a sound card - if you guys know of one (or more) that fit the bill, please let me know.

I need SPDIF in and out, coaxial (not optical)
24 bit
I don't know the correct terminology for this, but I need it to have a digital audio connector "internally" for the connection of the CD-R in my computer.

Analog in/outs are of no concern, unless the thing has massive amounts of them and therefore, the card is way too expensive, so less is more in this department.

Oh, and my main software programs are Cubase VST 5 and ACID Pro 3, and I don't really understand the compatibility issues with Cubase, but I need a soundcard that will work with both programs.

Thanks, and again, I am sorry if this has been covered already.

Brad

Actually, I have been looking at the DiO 2448 over the Audiophile only because I don't need the MIDI connections, and I can find a use for the optical connectors on the DiO. Hmmm. Looks like the price is better too.

Any opinions on the Dio 2448?? I know it is not 96khz, but I am okay with that.

Or why the audiophile is better?

Thx,
Brad

ST Audio C-Port.

Includes Logic SoundTrack 24 software from Emagic
Features 10 x 10 - 100% Full-Duplex recording path support
Two balanced XLR inputs with built-in pre-amps and switchable phantom power
Two balanced XLR outputs
Eight 1/4" unbalanced inputs
Eight 1/4" unbalanced outputs
Coaxial, optical, and AES/EBU I/O connections
Stereo headphone output with volume control
Two sixteen-channel MIDI interface ports provided (two outputs, one input)
Peak LED for channels one and two
Up to four PCI cards can be sample-accurate sync linked. Internal or external sync supported.

But no SPDIF. Pitty.

Aardvark Q10

Ten in/ten out PCI audio system
Eight low-noise XLR mic preamps
Four ß" inserts for outboard effects
Two EFRTM hi-Z guitar inputs
Phantom power
Eight ß" line inputs
Ten line outputs
ASIO turbo mode for Steinberg and other soft synths
Zero-latency monitoring
Shielded 24-bit converters
S/PDIF, MIDI, and word clock I/O
Convenient ß" headphone out
Drag and drop patchbay
VU and digital peak metering
Shielded PCI audio interface
Expandable to four Q10 units in one computer
Aardvark low-jitter clocking technology
Comes with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0 (full version)
Works with any Steinberg, Emagic or Cakewalk software

$750 Pricey

Dio 2448

2-in, 2-out 24-bit/48kHz full-duplex PCI audio interface
S/PDIF inputs ands outputs on coaxial (gold-plated RCA) and optical (TOSlink) jacks
Stereo analog output on gold-plated RCA jacks (consumer signal levels)
Onboard headers accept analog audio from internal CD-ROM players
Onboard header accepts digital audio from internal CD-ROM players
D/A converter may be used to monitor digital input or output
Digital input may be bypassed directly to digital output (audio thru mode)
Supports 44.1kHz and 48kHz sample rates
Windows 95/98 drivers

$90

If those 3 soundcards were women, I would be married to the DiO 2448 right about now...

Thanks grip! I think I have found a wife - so to speak.

Brad, if 96khz isnt an issue to you, then the Dio2448 is the card for you.....of course the Audiophile is 24/96, but it doesnt have the optical connectors....if you you ever need to be in DVD spec (24/96) and need optical, there is the the DIO 2496.....and then again, someday you may need to do some transfers from equipment that isnt S/PDIF equipped and the analog inputs of the Audiophile would come in handy.....

Mars sells all of them
Dio 2448 - $89
Dio 2496 - $199
Audiophile - $169

not the lowest prices but a good comparison....samash has the Audiophile for $159......

also, Ive used versions of Cubase and Acid with the Audiophile and had zero problems.....shouldnt be an issue for you....

also, GC had the Audiowerk 2 card for $99 lastmonth...that could be an option...but im not terribly sure of the specs on it......

so in closing, if you are sure you will never, ever need it for 96khz or analog transfers, the Dio 2448 is your card.......

if you may need the analog inputs and 96khz, the Audiophile is the bomb.....

if you may need 96khz and can use the optical connectors but will never need analog inputs, the 2496 is for you.....

hopefully, ive confused you as much as ive confused myself...didnt I try to talk you into the 2448 before.....while you are at Guitar Center, grap me some picks...Fender medium's.....and see if they have the Rack-Mountable Suck Knob in stock yet........

Thanks Gidge! Yeah, the main reason I need a new card is to get the spdif in from some old recordings on DTRS, which can be no more than 48khz anyway. And the spdif back out into my outboard stuff, plus the CD-RW drive I just got has the digital audio connetor, so that's a plus - I think the DiO 2448 is my card - and the price is right. It is where I need to be right now - I know at some point in the future, I will upgrade even further, but I don't have that kind of dough, nor will I anytime soon.
Anyway, I like to take baby steps, and I am just moving up from my Steinberg Project Card (spdif out only) 20 bit, I think. So this is a logical move for me.

Good shit, man - thanks for the info.

I'

Back