Soundcard question- firewire or not?

guhlenn

Oh REALLY????
I'm deciding for a friend what card to purchase. will be used with a soundcraft 200. no ned for mic preamps.. maybe two, so i can do some remote tracking of piano or...

Now a budget of 500 is not much i know, but he might pay a little more. I have seen all the usual suspects. quality is mid level... or maybe just low. anyway, the M-audio firewire 1814 has lots of io, which is great. but what about quality? Can i do better for him? we need to track drums... and the rest but wel drums need at least 8ins so...

I personally would go for something like RME. but more expensive. i hate to waste the guys money. I know M-audio is considere decent,but not at all highquality.. perhaps something like the EMU 1820M? or what's it;s name?

Much appreciated.

firewire is cool, especially if you are on the move. if you go firewire, you should try to track down a MOTU mkII on ebay to fit your price range, it maybe able to be done. they seem awsome from what people say about them around here.

When i get some cash together i'm gonna get an echo layla. it's PCI but it has lots of i/o, two quality preamps, decent converters, and a decent price.

Some PCI slot based cards will disable any other audio cards in you system like the emu-0404 I have. The manual says I with work with other audio cards. That’s not true. I do other stuff with my PC like play games. On some of the games there’s no audio. On a post I’ve read that costumer support said it was not a toy when they said they were having issue with a game. My on-board audio card has 7 channel. Id like to watch some movies in surround sound or some video games in surround sound but I cant. As soon as I get the money I am going to buy a firewire or USB 2 card so if I run into issues I can just unplug it. That’s just my little complaint with PCI audio interface.

its kind of a pain now, but as a temporary workaround, if you want to watch a movie in surround you could go to system:devices and disable your emu (restart if need be). that usually works with conflicts on my computer.

different hardwareprofiles in windows usually work for your problem. but somehow i feel you are hijacking my thread ;-)

Back