Soundcard question

The op-amp was ADA 4841

Not familiar with that chip. The common NE534 is 4.4dB noisier and the LM 4562 (dual op amp) is just 2.1dB noisier than the 4841 based on voltage noise speccs..But! You cannot go simply on data sheet noise. The input load impedance can swing things as can the ratio of the impedances in the two input pins. E.g.Generally the 4562 is quieter than the very excellent 5534 but NOT as an RIAA phono amp where the 34 wins by 5dB!

The IC seems well optimized for low voltage work and eminently suited to drive ADCs from 5V rails.

Dave.

I fitted the MAYA and it plays music beautifully, but there are problems:

1/ In the MAYA control panel the sample rate is set to 44.1 and cannot be changed to any other sample rate (even if Reaper is set to 48).

2/ This may be the reason why when playing films in Premiere Pro, the sound is too low in pitch as if the 48kHz soundtrack is playing at 44.1?

3/ Music plays fine from My Music, but when I record into and replay sound from Reaper it is very distorted as if two soundcards are competing?

I fitted the MAYA and it plays music beautifully, but there are problems:

1/ In the MAYA control panel the sample rate is set to 44.1 and cannot be changed to any other sample rate (even if Reaper is set to 48).

2/ This may be the reason why when playing films in Premiere Pro, the sound is too low in pitch as if the 48kHz soundtrack is playing at 44.1?

3/ Music plays fine from My Music, but when I record into and replay sound from Reaper it is very distorted as if two soundcards are competing?

I would get onto ESI support UK ASAP. I found them very helpful for my 1010e.

The locked sample rate could be buried somewhere in the control panel.

The distorted sound could be due to a latency setting too low for the PC to cope with?

A quick Google for problems showed a few (always does with ANYTHING!) Fixes suggested are, killing WiFi controllers, disabling On Board Sound (I hope you have Windows "Sounds", bleeps and clangs, stopped already?). Even a possible BIOS update/setting? If you have a choice, try another PCIe slot.

The fact that the card plays ok under certain circumstances tells me there is nothing wrong with it.

Dave.

I can't find esi support uk - there are about a million places called esi - I found one site called esi user community but it says there is a server error every time I try to get into it. I would be very grateful if you could give me a link to your site? BTW I've tried everything to cure this distortion including different sample rates, latencies etc, different motherboard slot. attached is the distortionView attachment vvvv mp3.mp3

Thanks for that link. But I go to it, click on ESI Forum, then PCI Audio Interfaces, and it says "Internal Server Error" and that's it. I suppose there are other soundcard forums?

Back