Soundcard Multiple Input Question

redrocket

I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance. Is there any way to get multiple inputs (past a single stereo input) using a normal sound card? Is there any way to add an external sound card for input without losing the internal input also?

If you attach a mixer to the card, you can get more inputs. The only problem there is that you'll only be able to record as many tracks simultaneously as the number of inputs on your sound card.

don't apologize in advance, in fact, don't apologize at all....

redrocket said:
I'm a newbie here, so I apologize in advance. Is there any way to get multiple inputs (past a single stereo input) using a normal sound card? Is there any way to add an external sound card for input without losing the internal input also?

most units that add multiple inputs through a firewire or pci card do not have sounds on them (like a sound blaster or sb compatible card or chip) and will coexist pretty well with a sound card or chip. syncronizing recording from an outboard unit and the soundcard inputs is generally not reccomended (or usable, even). if you get a firewire or pci card get enough inputs to do it all.

generally buy bigger than you need up front, if you can at all afford it.

Back