Soundcard disappeared

Rusty K

Hello and a balated Happy New Year!

I turned my computer on today and my soundcard disappeared. I used help to find a "problem device"...listed was, IRQ Holder for PCI Steering......PCI\IRQHolder\03.....error 22.

IRQ 3 is where my soundcard resides....

I'd appreciate any assistance.. and I hope this is the best forum for the question.

Thanks
Rusty K

Rusty,

What O.S. are you running?

Here's what I could recommend without knowing any details:

1. Go into your "device manager".
You probably have something highlighted with a yellow exclemation mark over it's icon; if you do, select it and remove it.

2. Download the latest drivers for your soundcard.

3. Power off your computer, pull off the side, pull any jacks off the soundcard I/O and pull out the soundcard.

4. Re-insert the soundcard

5. Power-on

Hopefully, at this point, you are golden. The point of this excersize was mostly to "re-seat" the card. Somethimes over time, a card can lose a good connection to your motherboard. If all is well, you can re-install your drivers, and get rolling.

If your computer doesn't recognize the hardware, it's time to call the manufacturer.

-Shaz

Shaz,

thanks...Nothing is highlighted....soundcard isn't even there...properties....no #3IRQ..my soundcard address...

I'll try to reseat.....it was fine yesterday....

Rusty

update.....

Well after fretting with this last night I gave up and shut her down.

Booted this morning and there was my soundcard...It was on IRQ5...I had thought it was #3. Yesterday my modem showed up on 5 and #3 wasn't listed at all. Now modem is on 3 and soundcard on 5.

WEIRD....

Rusty

wild conclusion

Rusty,

The most likely scenario I can suggest then, is that you had a small power-surge that affected your motherboard configuration memory. When you re-booted, the motherboard said, "Hey, what's this card?" instead of it's normal roll-call of,

"Modem!"
"Here Sir!"
"Modem IRQ 5!"
"Yes Sir!"

"Soundcard!"
"Here Sir!"
"Soundcard IRQ 3!"
"Yes, Sir!"

And so the cards were re-assigned. If you find this happens again anytime soon I'd say your MB is on the edge, otherwise it was just an anomaly.

-Shaz

IRQ 3 is typically the default IRQ for serial port #2 (and in the old days, #4 also if you had one). IRQ 5 was typically used by the original Sound Blaster cards, and is often still used for "Sound Blaster emulation" by newer cards.

Rusty you might want to check in your computers BIOS for a setting that says (it varies a bit in wording) PLUG AND PLAY OS INSTALLED? YES/NO I'm going to guess that you have yours set to YES. If you change it to NO this situation might be avoided. What this setting says is, in essence, "Should the motherboard had over full control of resource allocation to the OS?". Your computer will run fine with it set to NO. Sometimes when it is on YES Windows may become confused where a particular card should be assigned, and if it changes it this can set off a whole cascade of changes in resource assignments.

Shaz,

It's a brand new motherboard...well 2 months....but I'll keep an eye on it.

Rwhite,

I'll give it a try...but does this mean that PnP won't be automatic when I install a new piece of hardware?

Thanks fellas,

Rusty

Back