Soundcard for Digi 001

Elisa

I have an HP Pavilion and Guitar Center will give me 30 days to try and get the Digi 001 to work with my HP computer. I know this is crazy but I have to try. I have a computer tech who says he can make the Digi 001 compatable with my PC. He thinks I might have to disable the soundcard which came with the computer and install a new soundcard.

If this is true, what soundcard should I get for the Digi 001. How much will it cost?

My max budget is $300.

Thanks,

Elisa

The 001 will only be compatiable with the card it comes with.
If you mean an aditional sound card with the audio card that comes with the 001 then you should be able to work them together.

However... I'm afraid the Hp PAV, is a problematic setup with the 001.
Have you checked out the DUC on the digi site?.
Do a search for it and you'll see the problems there.
I don't understand why you have to try and I'm sure you have your reasons but
I strongly suggest you try a well known compatiable computer eith the 001 or buy another card.

I saw a demo of the Digi 001 and it is everything I need. Therefore, I have to get it. I haven't seen anything else on the market that comes close. I've gone to Guitar Center and asked other people if there is another software system that will do what the Digi 001 will do, and they tell me I can build my own system... but I have to buy this, that, and the other thing. (It was hard to get a straight answer from those guys.)Once the final bill was tallies it was over $2000.

If anyone knows of another system that is compareable to the Digi 001 for about $800 I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your replies.

Sincerly,

Elisa

There is nothing that will give you the full software-hardware bang for buck, but there is enough stuff that comes close.
Try the Mona with any software of your choice.
Look at Aardvark's stuff. Ark24 or pro.
Look at M-Audio Delta 1010

The important question is what is your needs?
Do you realy need so many inputs and outputs?
Do you need preamps on your interface?
Can you work with another software like calkwalk etc..

Lynx sells an excellent card- high quality.
No frills but killer sound,and will leave you money to buy a software and a visit to McDonald.

Also the digital Audio Labs Carddeluxe is a great sounding card.

There are others as well that should work with your computer.

[Edited by Shailat on 10-10-2000 at 07:21]

Go for the Digi001 and look for it on the net. Musician's Friends has it for $899 so you can probably find it cheaper. It will have everything the video shows except for MasterlistCD for the PC. The Digi IS compatible with other sound cards- I run it with my SBLive! As for the HP being compatible Shailat is right... check the DUC at digidesign.com for compatibility issues. I seem to recall one or two people said they were able to get it going with their systems that were HP. Good luck.

You can buy the digi001 for less than 800 these days.

bayviewproaudio.com has it for $795 including shipping AND I have seen it cheaper, I just don't remember where

Unless Digidesign changed recently, 001 is still not compatible with HP computers.

Read this, then ask yourself is it worth the problems that you will probably have in the future:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/maindigi001win.html

Even if you do get the 001 to work with your HP, then what happens if suddenly something goes wrong 31 days from now and Guitar Center won't take it back anymore? Digidesign support is going to have one answer for you: "We don't support HP Pavillion computers." Not worth risking $800 in my opinion when there are other options available that come close to what the 001 can do. I saw this month Guitar Center is running a sale on the Delta 1010 hardware and Vegas Pro software for $599. I'm not sure what normally it would cost, but that seems like a decent price to me. Certainly less than $2000 :)

The other option would be to buy (or build) a new computer that's not an HP. If you really, really, really want the 001, then that's probably the best thing to do. Then you are probably talking around $2k total. That Digi001 and Protools LE are cool and all, but no way would it be worth the headaches most likely to follow considering Digidesign doesn't currently support what you are trying to do.

Back