Soundcard, ADAT, SPDIF

quarx

Hi,
I wanna buy a new soundcard. It should have ADAT or SPDIF In as I only have to connect my Roland Fantom Keyboard to it. My Roland has an ADAT out and a SPDIF (digital) out.

I don't really know; is there a difference between the soundquality if connected through ADAT or SPDIF? I also don't know - is there a difference between soundcards that have ADAT and SPDIF? Or is it just important that they are 24/96? Or are there any converters that have an impact on the soundquality?

I would buy a RME card as they have great drivers, but I don't need so many outs/ins... So I only need an ADAT In or SPDIF In. But don't know about quality... Could someone explain it to me (are there any other factors than the fact 24/96?)

Please provide me with your comments and recommendations.
thanx
JK

Biggest difference between adat and spdif is that adat is 8 channels of 24/44.1(or48) while spdif is 2 channels (stereo) of 24/44.1 (up to 96 or 192). Both are digital interfaces, so quality of convertors isn't an issue.

Now there is a mode to use adat with 4 channels of 24/88.2 (or 96), but then both sides have to use the same way of doing this. There are afaik two different systems to implement this mode.

There is a minor point about maximal distances. Adat is optical and can go up to about 10m. Spdif exsists in optical (same limitation) and coax. The range of coax depends more on the gear used, but 5m would be a realistic maximum.

thank you very much for your answer.

So; converters don't play any role when talking about spdif and ADAT. So, if they are 2496, that means, the quality will be the same, regardless the card used?

So, I only need a card that has more stable drivers. I'm thinking of geting a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or an EMU 0404. Any comments on that? Which has better drivers? Because, in my case, if i understood you; it is more an issue of good drivers than good converters?

I have never been a big M Audio fan, but they seem to be very customer oriented and seem to have pretty reliable drivers:)

quarx said:
thank you very much for your answer.

So; converters don't play any role when talking about spdif and ADAT. So, if they are 2496, that means, the quality will be the same, regardless the card used?

So, I only need a card that has more stable drivers. I'm thinking of geting a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or an EMU 0404. Any comments on that? Which has better drivers? Because, in my case, if i understood you; it is more an issue of good drivers than good converters?

Convertors are a seperate issue, and have nothing to do with ADAT or SPDIF.
The only signal quality issues that arise are ones of jitter.

You will need convertors whenever you want to go from A/D or D/A. ADAT and SPDIF are only in the D realm.

Back