Soundblaster Live 5.1

Gitfiddle

I have a Compaq 5712 Desktop with 10 GB Hard Drive 466Mhz Processor and 128 Mg Ram. I use Guitar Tracks for live recording but I also have Acid 2.0, (this came with my CDRW Drive) Pyro, and WaveLab 2.0 . I have an ESS Solo sound card that came with the computer. Recently someone told me that Soundblaster Live 5.1 would be an improvement over the ESS Solo Card. My question is how much of an improvement if any, or would another card be better for my setup? Thanks.

Gitfiddle

Thanks for your reply. I kinda figured that only the top of the line would really make a difference. But now the question is, would my computer be sufficient, and would I also have to get better microphones to benefit from the Soundcard upgrade? I'm using two of Radio Shacks' top of the line Mikes. I know the rep of RS mikes, however, I've found that switching them to LowZ makes them come very close to the quality of Shures' SM57, at least for on stage vocals.

your computer specs are fine....the only thing that would be a significant faster is the speed of your hard drive...if it isnt a 7200rpm hard drive, you may get a limited track count....but to start, that is fine.....

if the mic you are using gets similar results to a sm57, then it will be fine also...many people here use sm57s......

Ill have to ask what preamp you are using between your mic and soundcard, as they can easily be the next step...i started out using a sm57 thru either my old 4 track or J-Station and moving up to a decent preamp was the biggest step in getting a decent vocal.......

What model Compaq is it (Deskpro, Presario)? Is the 466 a Celeron, PII or PIII? These will all determine what kind of performance you can expect out of the machine.

Presario is the very low end model and might prove to be kind of inadequate for your application (trust me - I owned one and have worked on some of the newer ones). Deskpro's are significanly better as they use higher quality components.

Depending which model you have, the onboard graphics may actually use your system RAM for video RAM. This configuration is not very efficient and will steal recources and CPU time from the rest of your system.

Considering how cheap RAM is nowadays, I would add some more. A local store here where I live is selling a 512Mb PC-100 stick for $70!!!

Finally, the choice in OS you make will also affect system performance. Which one are you using?

Thanks for the replys Gidge and Brzilian. I'm using a Tascam 424 MKIII for the mixer. I intend to build the core of my recordings on tape, then mix down to digital and add other tracks digitally if needed. My computer is a Presario with a celeron processor. However, it did fairly well when I had only 64 Mg Ram. I have recently upgraded to 128 Mg. I can however see the need for extra Ram.

Thanks

Gitfiddle

considering ram is so cheap, an upgrade would help...but for sound quality, a preamp would be a nice step.....

I disagree

I think a SB Live! will be large enough quality over the ESS Solo that would make it worth the price and time.

The SB Live is the best thing you can do if your'e nto going to get a real soundcard. You're not going to get much for less than $100, but i've heard some recordings made with strictly an SB Live! and i hear a difference.

The ESS Solo is just a noisy piece of crap =) .. truly not made for any sort of serious recording application whatsoever.

Gene
Dash Sound Productions

Thanks Dash Sound. I've come to the conclusion that a modest upgrade at this time, (SB Live) is probably all I need. I agree with Gidge that a preamp would be nice but so would an expensive sound card, expensive mikes, new computer, and on and on. A lot of us that are just starting out with modest circumstances will settle for a little better than what we have. I've seen the specks on the SB Live. They are not excellent, but rated very good as opposed to the Ess Solo rating. Thanks again to all of you for your advice and encouragement. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Gitfiddle

true story here, told many times...i used a sm57 going thru either my 4 track or J-Station for preamps into a SB Live type card.....upgraded to a Delta Audiophile Soundcard....yep, lower noise floor....sound was a little clearer on a per track basis, made more of a difference as track counts went up......

got a good deal on a Delta DMP2 preamp.....recorded the first track on it, threw on a tad of verb and played it back a few times amazed.....wife came in the room with a funny look on her face and she said it sounded just like i was singing right there in the room:eek:

moral: you could be recording to 2 inch tape at 15ips with Dolby noise reduction and if you are going in with a mic thru a 4 track casettes preamps, its gonna sound like crap.......

now, i wont be offended if you dont take my advice...but i just felt the need to throw it out there.....

and for another hint hint, the Ensoniq PCI sound card can be had a lot cheaper and sounds just as good as SB Live, but doesnt have the SoundFont capability (though it does have Midi).......

Thanks Gidge. So tell me. Where would a person get started in the right direction on this preamp issue? Could I still use the 424 MKIII for a mixer? Enlighten me.

Being very budget minded (a cheapskate), Id have to know how many $$$ you are ready to spend right now...because where you are at now,no one piece of gear will get you where you want to go......

Id start with a $89 Art Tube MP...you may be able to find a used one for less....as far as using the 4 track as a mixer, theres really no need to..you can record into the computer and mix in software......

whether you are spending $50 or $100 or $1000,you have to realize that every step of the signal chain is crucial.....im really just trying to help......

Thanks again Gidge. I looked over the preamp and I believe I will also add that to the mix. Thanks for the help.

Gitfiddle

Back