Sound quality loss when converting audacity file to wav?

Snow Lizard said "Depending on the type of recording you're doing, it might be better to use a more full featured DAW other than Audacity. " and one big reason for that is because Audacity cannot save in .wav format, it can only export as .wav.

Other DAWs can save in whatever native format you are starting with and the file can be called up, buggered about with, then saved again ad. inf.

Mind you! Always best to copy the original, first take and keep it elsewhere. At least twice!

Dave.

Mind you! Always best to copy the original, first take and keep it elsewhere. At least twice!

One of the things that I really appreciated going from Logic to Reaper was the latter's non-destructive editing. The source file is always available and unchanged.

Snow Lizard said "Depending on the type of recording you're doing, it might be better to use a more full featured DAW other than Audacity. " and one big reason for that is because Audacity cannot save in .wav format, it can only export as .wav.

And what should be the problem of that, as the internal working quality of Audacity is as high as it can be (and like a DAW) ?
I doubt if any daw works higher than 32-bit float and 192/384 khz. Audacity even supports 64-bit float WAV.

Audacity said:
Record at sample rates up to 192,000 Hz (subject to appropriate hardware and host selection). Up to 384,000 Hz is supported for appropriate high-resolution devices.

Record at 24-bit depth.

Supports 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit (floating point).

And that while i regularly read that people work and produce in 16-bit and 44.1 khz, even within daw's. :facepalm:

I usualy work in 32-bit float and 96khz, and that's what audacity can handle too (internally). So i don't see the problem.

If my source is good enough, I'll do 88/24 wav with a flac in mind, but I'm usually 16/44 - just archiving them as files on the HD and CDRW. I'd like to record with enough data to allow clean-up processing, but I just don't have time to mess with it unless I think something is worth the effort. Waves for CD should work the same MS Sound Recorder as in any other program, and one can do that on a ISA card installed in a 386. I'm not saying that the ISA is any good, just that a stereo wav for CD isn't difficult

Nothing WRONG with it 42, just that it is only playable in Audacity. Not knocking the app' at all! Great free editor but not a regular DAW.

Dave.

Back