Sound Off: Pro Tools vs Cubase

rkellus

I am putting together a home studio and would love to know what the frequent readers fo this BBS think about a dillema I am facing.

My machine is running Windows XP. I trying to determine if I am going to go with Pro Tools or Cubase.

My understanding is that Pro Tools (specifically the Digi 001 w/ Pro Tools) is not compatible with XP. Is this correct? Someone posted a recent thread about Pro Tools LE being XP compatible. Does that mean that the Digi OO1 is now Windows XP compatible?

I just received a lot of promising information about the new Cubase SX. It is appears ready to run on Windows XP.

I am interested in hearing peoples opinions about my dillema.

Additionally, I understand that the Digi 001 has a PCI card. Is it a soundcard? Do I need a separate sound card?

I undertand that Cubase SX does not come with a card. Rather, it is compatible with most high end cards.

Which brings to my last question. What would be a good aftermarket soundcard?

What do you all think about Echo Audio's Layla?

If anything I've said seems to be off the mark, please let me know. I am an analog man on a steep digital learning curve.

My understanding is that Pro Tools (specifically the Digi 001 w/ Pro Tools) is not compatible with XP. Is this correct? Someone posted a recent thread about Pro Tools LE being XP compatible. Does that mean that the Digi OO1 is now Windows XP compatible?

It now is with a free download. You also get 8 more tracks for 32 total.

Additionally, I understand that the Digi 001 has a PCI card. Is it a soundcard? Do I need a separate sound card?

It has a PCI card and a breakout box and I use it as my soundcard as well.

Opinion:
For $800 bucks. You can't beat what you get. It does sound excellent for the money and as you learn it you will be surprised with all you can do. Great editing and plugins(waves)

good points.. i usually down the digi 001, but its not a bad as when i first used it.. software wise...Cubase Sx is GREAT.. and much more powerful than PT Le...

cubase Sx is really nuendo with new added features, plugins and great midi. if you went with Cubase Sx, yes the echo layla24 is a great card... there are a few cards out that sound a little better and are cheaper...IE:Delta 1010...look into it..

with way you go...Digi 01 or SX and a good recording interface.. you'll still have great quality..

with SX you have as many tracks as your computer can handle.. with the digi your limited to 32.. i can't use 32... i have some tracks alown that are 20... so then we only have 12 tracks to lay lead vocals..stacks... hooks...adlibs..

Back