Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound cards and Bluetooth

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I found a couple of reviews of the HS8s and both were fairly complimentary, no suggestion of "splashy" highs so your sibilance problem is you or/and the microphone (which is?) .
    You might consider a really "pro" pop shield from say Rycote? At the risk of teaching granny about eggs, sing ACCROSS the diaphragm not AT it or have the mic above you.

Yes, room treatment is important but is mainly to do with LF matters and good stereo imaging, it is unlikely to exacerbate sibilance unless it is highly reflective. I would urge you to calibrate the monitors and when you have found a suitable level, 75-80 dB C in a "domestic" setting, stick to it no matter how ***t you feel on a particular day!

You don't say what DAW software you are running (or this old fool missed it!)? If the bargain bundle of Samplitude Pro X 3 is still on, worth a look. The DAW itself is superb but the bundle also includes Sound Forge with lots of treatment tools.

Dave.

Thanks
    My mixing space is a painted drywall finished room, untreated, Rugs on the floor. And you are right it SHOULDN'T be this hard. But I am having a heck of a time. The earbuds were just one more thing for reference. I record my vocals with an AKG C214, or an AKG C3000B. I cut them clean with no processing at all so I have clean tracks to work with. I know the C3000B is touted as one of the worst vocal mics around but I have cut some of my best vocals with it. The C214 seems to be even hotter in that canny 2K to 5K range. I've cut 3 songs with the 3000B and 2 with the C214 and I like the C3000B better. But what do I know I can't even get my mixes right. I am going to try singing about a foot away from the mic and see if the sibilant problem improves.

Thanks
    Oops I forgot to mention For DAW I'm mainly running Reaper and also have Magix Edit pro 14. Don't get me going I used to love sony's Vegas for DAW but magix has gone high end video and pretty much left the audio DAW world behind at least with the Vegas products. A lot of audio studder, no VST3 support and many VST plugin problems. I gave up on them a year ago and went with Reaper.

Thanks
    Also , More Waves plugin's than I can count, Damn near all they have for audio.

Thanks
    "TRY singing a foot away..."!? Begger me! If you are closer than that as a rule AND no pop shield I am not surprised you get sibilance.

The "classic" studio picture is of the singer a good 300mm back from a U87 AND a decent pop screen in between. But-butty-butbut..You have an untreated recording space so I guess you need to suck the AKGs to keep room reverb out? Get some duvets or other absorbent materials around you, back and front at least and back off that mic!

Not sure what you mean about MAGIX? I have bought the Pro X suite with the Sound Forge you loved and many, many others have as well. Would not hurt to download the free go and see?

Dave.

Thanks
    Sound forge is different than Vegas I believe. 10 years ago Vegas was a very good powerful DAW as well as video editor. It just has not kept up with Audio over the years. I wonder if the work flow and commands in sound forge are much the same as Vegas Edit pro? I have read many many times that the standard mic distance to start with is about 8 inches, 4 inches from the mic to pop filter and 4 inches from the pop filter. And yes you are right about the closer to the mic the less room characteristics become a factor, Also I pick up less backround noise if the mic is turned up less. I don't know if another 4 inches is going to make a difference in the sibilance but if it does I would be a really happy camper with such an easy fix. I will give it a try. I do have one of those cheesy foam vocal booth things that attach to the mic stand. Not sure it does much good but it looks nice LOL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    Sound forge is different than Vegas I believe. 10 years ago Vegas was a very good powerful DAW as well as video editor. It just has not kept up with Audio over the years. I wonder if the work flow and commands in sound forge are much the same as Vegas Edit pro? I have read many many times that the standard mic distance to start with is about 8 inches, 4 inches from the mic to pop filter and 4 inches from the pop filter. And yes you are right about the closer to the mic the less room characteristics become a factor, Also I pick up less backround noise if the mic is turned up less. I don't know if another 4 inches is going to make a difference in the sibilance but if it does I would be a really happy camper with such an easy fix. I will give it a try. I do have one of those cheesy foam vocal booth things that attach to the mic stand. Not sure it does much good but it looks nice LOL.
    SONY sounforge was an editor (like Audacity and Adobe Audition) but has been expanded for many more tracks* Vegas is for video. The main DAW in the bundle is Samplitude. That does all the VTSi stuff AFAIK (see *) SF is essentially a very powerful sound modifying tool, noise reduction, click suppression and I am sure a de-esser.

"Also I pickup less background noise if the mic is turned up less" Yes, you will but WHAT noise? I doubt if it is mic self noise. Both mics have a very healthy sensitivity of 20mV/Pa and a self noise figure of 14dB, easily way good enough for vox pop speech leave alone singists! The Tascam pres are not state of but I have never read a bad word about them? Certainly not excess noise.

So, that just leave general room 'hub-bub'? Record in the wee smalls as my son had to, until the pigeons awoke that is, about 4am this time of year!

*I am NOT a "studio person" and do little actual recording these days (mostly tests for HR peeps!) but I have been around sound and the associated electronics all my adult life (72) Just a valve amp jockey trying to help.

Dave.

So

Thanks
    yes the noise I'm talking about is backround home noise, furnace fan I can shut off, if someone flushes the toilet upstairs, footsteps, I swear these mics pic up shit I don't even hear. Yes wee hours of the morning are best and I will have to be careful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    yes the noise I'm talking about is backround home noise, furnace fan I can shut off, if someone flushes the toilet upstairs, footsteps, I swear these mics pic up shit I don't even hear. Yes wee hours of the morning are best and I will have to be careful.
    Mics can certainly hear stuff 'I' can't! In practice they pickup sounds you have ceased to be aware of. Clocks are the favourite. Always worth doing a noise "audit" from time to time? Setup mics and levels as you normally do then unplug them, (ideally plugging in screened 150 Ohm terminations but I have found it makes only a few dB diff'). Make a 60 second, 24 bit recording and see where your noise floor is. My KA6 ref a 57 is around -85dBFS iirc.

BTW, I am sure you have been around long enough to know that sound PROOFING is an expensive non-starter for most people?

Dave.

Thanks
    I have always found AKG mics to be sensitive in the sibilance range for the most part(414 b the exception). For mics like this I have to second Daves advice to sing across the mic instead of straight on. Doesn't have to be a 90 deg angle, 45 ish works fine. As for the translation of your mixes, I would suggest trying to find what frequency areas you are having the most trouble getting to sit right and using known commercial mixes to help get your new set up tuned so that what you are hearing out of your monitors is what you expect. And of course use reference tracks when mixing . It's easy to lose objectivity when mixing your own work so best to reference.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thread Information